POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Blurry reflection shortcut Server Time
28 Mar 2024 13:14:44 EDT (-0400)
  Blurry reflection shortcut (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Mr
Subject: Blurry reflection shortcut
Date: 27 Jan 2015 14:25:00
Message: <web.54c7e4a4854c5930f4fc009d0@news.povray.org>
Hi,
While adding Uberpov's blurry reflections in the Blender expoter, It seemed to
work well, but after a few seconds I realized: there I am  waiting for a uniform
grey sky sphere to get "blurred" forever!

So this is the first request:
if a ray from a surface meets only the sky_sphere and that this skysphere
happens to have no pattern or image texture, just pigment or simple gradient,
namely absolutely nothing to get blurred, could this surface point get always
excluded from the blurry reflection calculation?

The second request is derived from the first and can be observed in blender
internal renderer feature, Reflection Max Distance, max_dist and fade_to :

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Materials/Properties/Mirror

Could there be a max distance parameter (that distance being measured away from
the reflected surface) for reflections after which, the reflection would not be
calculated,replaced by reflective material color itself or by sky color as a
second option and untill which the calculated reflection would progressively
fade to the said color.

Post a reply to this message

> While adding Uberpov's blurry reflections in the Blender expoter, It seemed to
> work well, but after a few seconds I realized: there I am  waiting for a uniform
> grey sky sphere to get "blurred" forever!
>
> So this is the first request:
> if a ray from a surface meets only the sky_sphere and that this skysphere
> happens to have no pattern or image texture, just pigment or simple gradient,
> namely absolutely nothing to get blurred, could this surface point get always
> excluded from the blurry reflection calculation?

and what if, due to blurry reflection, that surface point should also
reflect something else?
Is there any way of knowing the reflection will only include the
sky_sphere without tracing all those rays?

Post a reply to this message

Am 27.06.2015 um 09:42 schrieb Zeger Knaepen:
> On 27/01/2015 20:22, Mr wrote:
>> Hi,
>> While adding Uberpov's blurry reflections in the Blender expoter, It
>> seemed to
>> work well, but after a few seconds I realized: there I am  waiting for
>> a uniform
>> grey sky sphere to get "blurred" forever!
>>
>> So this is the first request:
>> if a ray from a surface meets only the sky_sphere and that this skysphere
>> happens to have no pattern or image texture, just pigment or simple
>> gradient,
>> namely absolutely nothing to get blurred, could this surface point get
>> always
>> excluded from the blurry reflection calculation?
>
> and what if, due to blurry reflection, that surface point should also
> reflect something else?
> Is there any way of knowing the reflection will only include the
> sky_sphere without tracing all those rays?

Nope, there isn't. But if you have shot a few of those rays, you could
make some /guess/, and let the general oversampling algorithm (-am3)
step in if you're mistaken.

If you're going that way, it might however be smarter to test whether
the colours are sufficiently similar, rather than testing whether they
all hit a uniform background. That way you can deal with the case of
/anything/ of uniform colour being reflected.

Currently the number of reflected rays shot per blurred reflection
computation depends only on the roughness of the surface, and can't even
be tweaked by the user.