POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma Again Server Time
2 Jul 2024 14:49:01 EDT (-0400)
  Gamma Again (Message 29 to 38 of 58)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Gamma Again
Date: 1 Dec 2010 08:37:26
Message: <4cf64f96@news.povray.org>
>  Now, if you do make a gradient from black to white with POV-Ray 3.7,
> the transition doesn't look linear for some reason,

The key point here is "look" linear.  If you did the gradient with 3.7 and
measured your monitor with a luminance meter you'd find it was a linear
gradient.  Your eye/brain however doesn't see that as a "linear" gradient.
(There are various transformations to convert absolute luminance into a
"perceived" luminance, and they're not linear).

BTW all this (about how your eye/brain works) is completely unrelated to how
POV should work, POV should attempt to make your monitor display what the
scene would look like if it existed IRL (just like how a camera works).  In
this respect if IRL there existed a truly linear gradient from 0% to 100%
then POV should attempt to make it look the same.  Which it does in 3.7.

Post a reply to this message