POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma Again : Re: Gamma Again Server Time
3 Jul 2024 16:28:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma Again
From: Ive
Date: 1 Dec 2010 10:23:59
Message: <4cf6688f$1@news.povray.org>
On 01.12.2010 14:31, Kenneth wrote:
> What all of this says to me (and I'm not saying it's wrong) is that, from now
> on, it's "POV-Ray against the world!" The 'world' meaning, all the *other* apps
> (like Photoshop) that we're so used to working with, with their apparently
> flawed way of handling gamma.

There is and never was something like POV-Ray against the world.
Photoshop is a great tool (I'm, using it since the time it was not even
called Photoshop but Photostyler and was developed by Aldus and not
owned by Adobe - and a few weeks ago did update to CS5) but it is also
still flawed in multiple ways and has (as every complex piece of
software) numerous bugs.

but as Stephen Klebs wrote:
 >like it or not, Momma Photoshop holds the ruler.
...and...
 >A language needs dictionaries like Photoshop to tell us what thing's
 >mean.

well, like it or not, but the only one who will be happy about such
statements is the marketing department of Adobe - I for one do report
the usual found bugs back to Adobe and do never trust blindly any piece
of software. And just as a side-note: the long history of Adobe
Photoshop is full of changes that also caused particular image file
formats written by some older version to be rendered completely
different with the new one.

I'm also using frequently Blender as a modeller and always POV-Ray as
final render engine for it.

In fact and for short: since the applied gamma handling changes in 3.7
making POV-Ray work together with applications like Photoshop and
Blender has become much easier, less painful and without time consuming
workarounds.

And to put it a bit rude: the only thing that *is* apparently flawed is
the knowledge of most users about the tools they use - and well, I'm not
talkin' especially about POV-Ray here ;)

-Ive