POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 35a performance question Server Time
1 Jul 2024 14:32:33 EDT (-0400)
  35a performance question (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: GraemeM
Subject: 35a performance question
Date: 14 Feb 2010 15:45:00
Message: <web.4b785f6e3dce690513b07a810@news.povray.org>
I am comparing the "basic" performance between the 3.7 b35 (sse2 and none sse2)
to 3.6.2

I have used one file, phot_met_glass.pov, and I get the following results;

3.6.2         512x384  No AA  9.13
3.6.2         512x384  AA .3  15.55

3.7.b35       512x384  No AA  14.8
3.7.b35       512x384  AA .3  24.32

3.7.b35 SSE2  512x384  No AA  13.43
3.7.b35 SSE2  512x384  AA .3  23.29

SSE gives little improvement over none SSE but that might be due the the
features used in the test file.

The bigger question is the apparent degraded performance to 2.6.2!  I am using a
1st generation 4 core Phenom 9500 processor at 2.2GHz (TLB workaround enabled),
Vista Home Premium and 2Gb ram.

Am I missing something or is the test file unsuitable?  This is the first quick
comparison so I will try some more complex scenes to see if the results compare.

Post a reply to this message