POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Media, light sources, and translation Server Time
6 Jul 2024 05:28:18 EDT (-0400)
  Media, light sources, and translation (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Darkshadow
Subject: Media, light sources, and translation
Date: 5 Jun 2009 15:20:00
Message: <web.4a296f21c23a6d95efe2f960@news.povray.org>
If you use an object that has media as a light source's looks_like argument, and
then translate the light source, the media doesn't get translated with it.

Here's a little sample to show it.  Render it as is to see it as normal, then
change it to translate it in some direction and you'll see the media doesn't
move along with it:

background { rgb .35 }

camera { location <0, 0, -10> look_at <0,0,0> }

#declare Plasma = cylinder {
    <0,-3,0> <0,3,0>, 1
    pigment { color rgbt <1,1,1,.85> }
    finish { ambient .5 }
    interior {
        media {
            emission 0.95
            method 3
            intervals 2
            samples 10,30
            density {
                cylindrical
                turbulence 0.375
                omega 1.3
                lambda 4.5
                color_map {
                    [0.0 color rgb <0.0,0.0,0.0>]
                    [0.5 color rgb <1.0,0.8,0.0>]
                    [1.0 color rgb <1.0,1.0,0.0>]
                }
                frequency 1
                scale .5
            }
        }
    }
    hollow
    no_shadow
}

light_source {
    <0,0,0> rgb <0.98824,0.78039,0.20451>
    area_light <-2,-2,-2><2,2,2>
    2,2
    adaptive 1
    circular
    orient
    media_attenuation on
    fade_power 1.2
    fade_distance 45
    projected_through { cylinder { <0,3.1,0> <0,-3.1,0>, 1.1 } }
    looks_like { Plasma }
    translate <0,0,0>
}

These are the INI settings I'm using: