POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Return of the Rapid Radiosity Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:05:09 EDT (-0400)
  Return of the Rapid Radiosity (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: clipka
Subject: Return of the Rapid Radiosity
Date: 9 Apr 2009 22:10:00
Message: <web.49dea991377ce6501f2a4fdc0@news.povray.org>
Here's the news:

Radiosity is back to 3.6 speed! But the code is much prettier now.

The speed has actually shifted a good deal: While most of the scenes I use for
benchmarking will render at about the same time, a few will now render in just
50& of the CPU time (in one case even just 25%) - while a few others will take
as much as 300%.

At the bottom line, however, radiosity seems to have sped up a bit, now taking
about 90% of the CPU time required with 3.6.

One single scene has suffered in quality. However, as it has also gained a lot
in speed, I expect re-investing the gained time in higher quality settings will
bring that scene back to old quality as well.

So all radiosity enthusiasts out there, stay tuned for beta.33!

Post a reply to this message