POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity: status & SMP idea Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:26:35 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity: status & SMP idea (Message 35 to 44 of 74)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea
Date: 24 Dec 2008 08:21:22
Message: <49523752$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
>> Well, given the code mostly works, it is just a matter of fixing a few bugs
>> and then having a working reference implementation does make quite a bit of
>> sense...
>
> As it seems to me, the problem with the code, as it is now, is that it was
> attempted to change too many things at once:

The code is not generating images remotely right. Just compare to 3.6
output. Quality is much worse in 3.7 because something is missing. I never
had the time to track it down though. It is a fairly simple problem for
certain, but radiosity tests do take a real lot of time.

All this has nothing to do with multithreading or the use of C++ because the
code was never changed for it. In fact, very little was changed in the
radiosity code at all (and the lighting code has only been changed a bit).
In short, a simple problem exists, it is just very time consuming to debug.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message