POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity: status & SMP idea : Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:33:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity: status & SMP idea
From: clipka
Date: 24 Dec 2008 12:40:00
Message: <web.495273a3b480f792568ffff50@news.povray.org>
> It isn't bad or broken at all in 3.6. It is just difficult to use <sigh>

I tell you it *is* bad (although it's not all the radiosity code's fault).

One example: Smooth meshes. If you set recursion_limit to some higher value,
light "leaks through" them like a leaky bucket if they aren't heavily
subdivided. This is because with smooth mesh objects the "raw" normal isn't
actually "raw" at all.

For some strange reason, it seems that this "leaky bucket" effect isn't limited
to meshes, but also appears with CSG object (albeit less strongly).

It also seems to me that the 3.6.1 radiosity implementation makes bright light
"flow" along e.g. corners of a room in an unnatural way.

Another thing is that it seems to me as if the 3.6.1 radiosity code would pick
up object colours too strongly.

The beta.29 seems to pick up colour to less extent, but does have the "flow"
effect as well; my most recent version of the code doesn't have it, for some
reason I don't understand because I think I should actually be closing in on
3.6.1 status.

> Use the included sample scenes, and you will quickly notice the problems: In
> particular the darkness problems and similar artifacts. The sample scenes,
> which are very simple geometries, do make the issue very clear quickly. I
> would recommend trying them as the issue is not easy to track down in
> complex scenes with already complex non-radiosity lighting.

I'm currently using quite simple, radiosity-only scenes (well, the
"Claustrophobia" shot uses a *bit* of conventional lighting as an add-on, but
primarily it's radiosity based).

They're possibly a bit unusual in their radiosity use - for example, one is a
simple, unlit room that *should* be illuminated only by light seeping through
an almost-closed door (the light source itself is just an excessively bright
white background). But it makes a formidable scene to show that 3.6.1 radiosity
is messed up already.