POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : crackle pattern request Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:32:01 EDT (-0400)
  crackle pattern request (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Trevor G Quayle
Subject: crackle pattern request
Date: 20 Dec 2008 23:15:01
Message: <web.494dc1bf42e303f5c67b294d0@news.povray.org>
I know i'll probably get shot for this...

But is there any way of adding a crackle pattern that is resolved only on a 2D
plane rather than 3D space.  I haven't looked at the code and don't have the
means to program and compile it myself at the moment.

I know I can take a 2D slice of the 3D pattern, but that doesn't achieve what I
want, there are slight differences.  The current crackle pattern is a Voronoi
tesselation (I'm pretty certain) based on points in 3D, I wouldn't think it too
hard to adapt an additional pattern where the points are only evaluated in 2D
say on the x-y plane.

I could probably dig aroung the source code myself and figure it out, but I
don't have a compiler and am not sure how to go about it.  What freeware
compilers are available for Windows XP?

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> I know i'll probably get shot for this...
>
> But is there any way of adding a crackle pattern that is resolved only on a 2D
> plane rather than 3D space.  I haven't looked at the code and don't have the
> means to program and compile it myself at the moment.
>
> I know I can take a 2D slice of the 3D pattern, but that doesn't achieve what I
> want, there are slight differences.  The current crackle pattern is a Voronoi
> tesselation (I'm pretty certain) based on points in 3D, I wouldn't think it too
> hard to adapt an additional pattern where the points are only evaluated in 2D
> say on the x-y plane.
>
> I could probably dig aroung the source code myself and figure it out, but I
> don't have a compiler and am not sure how to go about it.  What freeware
> compilers are available for Windows XP?
>
> -tgq

Maybe you can convert the pattern into a function and then omit the y
coordinate?

Something like:

#declare FOO = function {pigment {checker}}
pigment
{
  function
  {
    FOO(x,0,z)}
    [PIGMENT_MODIFIERS...]
  }
}

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

Le 21.12.2008 08:48, SharkD nous fit lire :
> "Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> I know i'll probably get shot for this...
>>
>> But is there any way of adding a crackle pattern that is resolved only on a 2D
>> plane rather than 3D space.  I haven't looked at the code and don't have the
>> means to program and compile it myself at the moment.
>>
>> I know I can take a 2D slice of the 3D pattern, but that doesn't achieve what I
>> want, there are slight differences.  The current crackle pattern is a Voronoi
>> tesselation (I'm pretty certain) based on points in 3D, I wouldn't think it too
>> hard to adapt an additional pattern where the points are only evaluated in 2D
>> say on the x-y plane.
>>
>> I could probably dig aroung the source code myself and figure it out, but I
>> don't have a compiler and am not sure how to go about it.  What freeware
>> compilers are available for Windows XP?

Assume your position & choice: you are on a pay-per-use platform.
Welcome in the IT economy.
Support your IT providers to survive the crisis...

>> -tgq
>
> Maybe you can convert the pattern into a function and then omit the y
> coordinate?

That's just taking a 2D slice of the 3D. It is not giving a valid

The OP wants to get something like Hexagon pattern, not checker.
Excepted that hexagon would be kind of 'crackle solid', not 'crackle'
alone: crackle alone would rather be like quilted, continuous variation
from center (well, according to the 'form' you use, of course; a funny
parameter of crackle to look at!).

It would probably be an easy cut-n-paste from actual 3D code to remove
the third dimension from the seed and simplify the metric computation,

Short of that, you might also try to take a slice of compressed pattern,
using a huge inversed scale factor on one axis (scale <1,1,1/9999999> ?)

Will thinks about that patch...might also be interesting to consider
variant of 'form'... or new option like solid... to get a 0-100% value
based on the actual length from center to boundary.

Post a reply to this message

"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> I could probably dig aroung the source code myself and figure it out, but I
> don't have a compiler and am not sure how to go about it.  What freeware
> compilers are available for Windows XP?
>
> -tgq

IIRC, there is a limited version of Visual Studio that can be used for free. I
believe it is missing some libraries that are not licensed to be used with the
free version. I was reading about it a few years ago but never got around to
installing it.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> IIRC, there is a limited version of Visual Studio that can be used for free. I
> believe it is missing some libraries that are not licensed to be used with the
> free version. I was reading about it a few years ago but never got around to
> installing it.

That thing is called "Express Edition"; a seriously sick thing if I'm asked, but
- quote from the POV beta source code page:

"The express edition of VS2005 is reported to work, but some workarounds are
required if you wish to build the editor provided with the source. (It is not
necessary to build the editor to be able to use the EXE)."

Post a reply to this message