POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : crackle pattern request : crackle pattern request Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  crackle pattern request
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 20 Dec 2008 23:15:01
Message: <web.494dc1bf42e303f5c67b294d0@news.povray.org>
I know i'll probably get shot for this...

But is there any way of adding a crackle pattern that is resolved only on a 2D
plane rather than 3D space.  I haven't looked at the code and don't have the
means to program and compile it myself at the moment.

I know I can take a 2D slice of the 3D pattern, but that doesn't achieve what I
want, there are slight differences.  The current crackle pattern is a Voronoi
tesselation (I'm pretty certain) based on points in 3D, I wouldn't think it too
hard to adapt an additional pattern where the points are only evaluated in 2D
say on the x-y plane.

I could probably dig aroung the source code myself and figure it out, but I
don't have a compiler and am not sure how to go about it.  What freeware
compilers are available for Windows XP?

-tgq