POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : crackle pattern request : Re: crackle pattern request Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: crackle pattern request
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 21 Dec 2008 06:13:00
Message: <494e24bc$1@news.povray.org>
This might be off topic for beta-test.

Le 21.12.2008 08:48, SharkD nous fit lire :
> "Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> I know i'll probably get shot for this...
>>
>> But is there any way of adding a crackle pattern that is resolved only on a 2D
>> plane rather than 3D space.  I haven't looked at the code and don't have the
>> means to program and compile it myself at the moment.
>>
>> I know I can take a 2D slice of the 3D pattern, but that doesn't achieve what I
>> want, there are slight differences.  The current crackle pattern is a Voronoi
>> tesselation (I'm pretty certain) based on points in 3D, I wouldn't think it too
>> hard to adapt an additional pattern where the points are only evaluated in 2D
>> say on the x-y plane.
>>
>> I could probably dig aroung the source code myself and figure it out, but I
>> don't have a compiler and am not sure how to go about it.  What freeware
>> compilers are available for Windows XP?

Assume your position & choice: you are on a pay-per-use platform.
Welcome in the IT economy.
Support your IT providers to survive the crisis...

>> -tgq
>
> Maybe you can convert the pattern into a function and then omit the y
> coordinate?

That's just taking a 2D slice of the 3D. It is not giving a valid

The OP wants to get something like Hexagon pattern, not checker.
Excepted that hexagon would be kind of 'crackle solid', not 'crackle'
alone: crackle alone would rather be like quilted, continuous variation
from center (well, according to the 'form' you use, of course; a funny
parameter of crackle to look at!).

It would probably be an easy cut-n-paste from actual 3D code to remove
the third dimension from the seed and simplify the metric computation,

Short of that, you might also try to take a slice of compressed pattern,
using a huge inversed scale factor on one axis (scale <1,1,1/9999999> ?)

Will thinks about that patch...might also be interesting to consider
variant of 'form'... or new option like solid... to get a 0-100% value
based on the actual length from center to boundary.