POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Linux Server Time: 29 Jun 2017 12:27:39 GMT
  Linux (Message 1 to 10 of 19)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Linux
Date: 7 Apr 2017 16:42:31
Message: <58e7c177$1@news.povray.org>
Can the latest beta be downloaded using Debian synaptic package manager? 
Is there a guide on how to install and use povray on Debian? Thanks.


Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Linux
Date: 8 Apr 2017 09:25:01
Message: <web.58e8ac61bcebb3fdb76e39c80@news.povray.org>
Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Can the latest beta be downloaded using Debian synaptic package manager?
> Is there a guide on how to install and use povray on Debian? Thanks.

Linux distributions typically provide only stable software (except presumably
for particularly popular packages). For example, according to
packages.debian.org the Debian packages "povray", "povray-includes" and
"povray-examples" for "Jessie", "Stretch" and "Sid" are at 3.7.0.

We do not make any attempts to provide pre-built packages for any Linux distro
whatsoever.

To install any contemporary official POV-Ray release or pre-release on any
Unixoid system without using a package manager, download the corresponding
..tar.gz source code package from https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases, and
follow the instructions outlined in `unix/README.md`.


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Linux
Date: 8 Apr 2017 09:50:01
Message: <web.58e8b1b0bcebb3fdb76e39c80@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> We do not make any attempts to provide pre-built packages for any Linux distro
> whatsoever.

(Just for clarification, what I meant is that we currently do not make any
attempts to provide pre-built packages /ourselves/, but rather leave that up to
the distro folks; of course we are more than happy to provide /them/ with
support as best as we can. But we currently have neither the manpower nor
expertise nor infrastructure in place to actively get involved in the Linux
pre-built packages ecosystem.)


Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Linux
Date: 8 Apr 2017 17:59:45
Message: <58e92511$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 05:47:28 -0400, clipka wrote:

> "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> We do not make any attempts to provide pre-built packages for any Linux
>> distro whatsoever.
> 
> (Just for clarification, what I meant is that we currently do not make
> any attempts to provide pre-built packages /ourselves/, but rather leave
> that up to the distro folks; of course we are more than happy to provide
> /them/ with support as best as we can. But we currently have neither the
> manpower nor expertise nor infrastructure in place to actively get
> involved in the Linux pre-built packages ecosystem.)

FWIW, though, someone who was interested in doing so could probably use 
the Open Build Service (build.opensuse.org) to build packages for 
multiple distributions - it doesn't just do packaging for openSUSE.

The only caveat might be the license POV-Ray uses - I know there are some 
restrictions when it comes to software that has patent encumbrances 
(which I'm sure POV-Ray doesn't), but someone who was interested in 
looking into it further could make that determination.

Just a thought :)
-- 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and 
besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Linux
Date: 8 Apr 2017 19:03:44
Message: <58e93410$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/8/2017 6:59 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Just a thought:)


Get you, show off. :P

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Linux
Date: 8 Apr 2017 19:38:30
Message: <58e93c36$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/8/2017 5:24 AM, clipka wrote:
> Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Can the latest beta be downloaded using Debian synaptic package manager?
>> Is there a guide on how to install and use povray on Debian? Thanks.
>
> Linux distributions typically provide only stable software (except presumably
> for particularly popular packages). For example, according to
> packages.debian.org the Debian packages "povray", "povray-includes" and
> "povray-examples" for "Jessie", "Stretch" and "Sid" are at 3.7.0.
>
> We do not make any attempts to provide pre-built packages for any Linux distro
> whatsoever.
>
> To install any contemporary official POV-Ray release or pre-release on any
> Unixoid system without using a package manager, download the corresponding
> ..tar.gz source code package from https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases, and
> follow the instructions outlined in `unix/README.md`.
>
>
>


Is there a guide about usage on Linux? There is no POVray editor on 
Linux, correct? How does one load a file and then start a render? Does a 
render window appear?


Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Linux
Date: 8 Apr 2017 20:26:36
Message: <58e9477c$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 20:03:36 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 4/8/2017 6:59 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Just a thought:)
> 
> 
> Get you, show off. :P

:D

Yep, thinking is what I do now. ;)

Jim



-- 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and 
besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Linux
Date: 8 Apr 2017 20:45:02
Message: <58e94bce$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/8/2017 9:26 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 20:03:36 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>
>> On 4/8/2017 6:59 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> Just a thought:)
>>
>>
>> Get you, show off. :P
>
> :D
>
> Yep, thinking is what I do now. ;)
>
> Jim
>
>
>

Sigh! :)

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Linux
Date: 8 Apr 2017 20:51:22
Message: <58e94d4a$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 21:44:54 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> Sigh! :)

That's what happens when you get promoted, your team gets disbanded, and 
you move to manage a new team and several programs - you spend all your 
time thinking. :)



-- 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and 
besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Linux
Date: 8 Apr 2017 21:22:35
Message: <58e9549b$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/8/2017 3:39 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> Is there a guide about usage on Linux? There is no POVray editor on
> Linux, correct? How does one load a file and then start a render? Does a
> render window appear?
>
>
> Mike

Are these instructions current?

http://www.povray.org/download/linux.php


Mike


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.