POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Linux : Re: Linux Server Time
24 Apr 2024 09:00:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux
From: clipka
Date: 8 Apr 2017 05:25:01
Message: <web.58e8ac61bcebb3fdb76e39c80@news.povray.org>
> Can the latest beta be downloaded using Debian synaptic package manager?
> Is there a guide on how to install and use povray on Debian? Thanks.

Linux distributions typically provide only stable software (except presumably
for particularly popular packages). For example, according to
packages.debian.org the Debian packages "povray", "povray-includes" and
"povray-examples" for "Jessie", "Stretch" and "Sid" are at 3.7.0.

We do not make any attempts to provide pre-built packages for any Linux distro
whatsoever.

To install any contemporary official POV-Ray release or pre-release on any
Unixoid system without using a package manager, download the corresponding
..tar.gz source code package from https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases, and
follow the instructions outlined in `unix/README.md`.