POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : RC7 sanity check Server Time
28 Apr 2024 06:07:51 EDT (-0400)
  RC7 sanity check (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Chris Cason
Subject: Re: RC7 sanity check
Date: 18 Feb 2013 07:34:06
Message: <51221fbe$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/02/2013 12:30, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> The installer works.  (N.B. I could not test the RC6 uninstall, as there was no
> RC6 on this computer, and I'm not about to fire up my old one.)  However, it
> didn't automatically run the sample scene, as past versions have done.

I don't think I've been doing this for the RC's or betas; though yes
we did for 3.6 and past versions.

> Is this deliberate?

More an oversight than anything; we had problems getting the launch
option to work properly when we were using InstallShield and when
creating the new installer I didn't include the /DEMO command.

It's a good point, though, so I will add it for the final release
(I'll be running test setups for that past you guys too :-)

> When I unchecked Options|Render Window|Keep Above Main, it didn't take effect
> until after I restarted POV-Ray.

hmmm, have to look at that. I think in the past we may have done an
automatic re-start?

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> On 18/02/2013 12:30, Cousin Ricky wrote:
>> The installer works.  (N.B. I could not test the RC6 uninstall, as there was no
>> RC6 on this computer, and I'm not about to fire up my old one.)  However, it
>> didn't automatically run the sample scene, as past versions have done.
>
> I don't think I've been doing this for the RC's or betas; though yes
> we did for 3.6 and past versions.
>
>> Is this deliberate?
>
> More an oversight than anything; we had problems getting the launch
> option to work properly when we were using InstallShield and when
> creating the new installer I didn't include the /DEMO command.
>
> It's a good point, though, so I will add it for the final release
> (I'll be running test setups for that past you guys too :-)
>
>> When I unchecked Options|Render Window|Keep Above Main, it didn't take effect
>> until after I restarted POV-Ray.
>
> hmmm, have to look at that. I think in the past we may have done an
> automatic re-start?
>
> -- Chris

If Keep above main was unchecked with the previous version, it stays
that way.

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 20 Feb 2013 00:20:02
Message: <web.51245c70b270f601e80af9310@news.povray.org>
> I'm a bit unsure if I should remove associations automatically added
> by windows. Yes, it would make sense to remove them, but up to now
> I've tried to avoid having the uninstaller touch anything that the
> installer didn't create.

Why not to let the user decide, IF (s)he wishes so? In that case, the installer
could list all registry keys and their values, and the user can make a
case-by-case decision. Might be better in some cases, that a general decision
towards the one or another side.

I lost once all my valuable POV scenes because I never found out, that that POV
version moved (and not just copied) the user files into a totally different
folder within "My Documents". I was used to a folder within the POV-Ray folder.
So I deleted that new Scenes folder inside My Documents, and repended bitterly,
up to today (the Seneca deep space carrier, presented in this forum, was among
them).

I think, it is just wise, to include an option where the user can decide on a
case-by-case base.

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 20 Feb 2013 13:35:25
Message: <5125176d@news.povray.org>
On 20/02/2013 16:17, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> I lost once all my valuable POV scenes because I never found out, that that POV
> version moved (and not just copied) the user files into a totally different
> folder within "My Documents". I was used to a folder within the POV-Ray folder.

No version of any POVWIN installer has ever moved any existing files.

-- Chris