POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Bug with bounded_by Server Time
29 Mar 2024 01:51:16 EDT (-0400)
  Bug with bounded_by (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Alain
Subject: Bug with bounded_by
Date: 11 Feb 2013 12:01:24
Message: <511923e4$1@news.povray.org>
While rendering some older scenes, I stumbled on this one.

The bounding don't work correctly when used in a way similar to an
intersection.
The bounded object itself is not bounded correctly, it's as if the
bounding object is oriented relative to the camera.
Next, there is a huge problem with the shadows: Most of the time, the
part of the original object OUTSIDE the bounding object still cast
shadows, but not always.
It's mostly appen when using some infinite primitive, like a quadric,
but can also appen if the bounded object is a finite primitive or some CSG.

The following scene shows both problems.

//////////////////////////////
#version 3.7;
#include"shapes_old.inc"

plane{y,-2 pigment{rgb 1}}
union{
	object{Cylinder_X }
	object{Cylinder_Z}
	pigment{rgb<0,1,0>}
	bounded_by{box{<2,1,2><-2,-1,-2>}}
	}
box{<2,1,2><-2,-1,-2> pigment{rgbf<1,0.5,1,1>}}

light_source{ 100 rgb 1 }

camera{location<1,3,-9>*2 look_at<0,-2,0> rotate 90*y*clock}
//////////////////////////////

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> While rendering some older scenes, I stumbled on this one.
>
> The bounding don't work correctly when used in a way similar to an
> intersection.
> The bounded object itself is not bounded correctly, it's as if the
> bounding object is oriented relative to the camera.
> Next, there is a huge problem with the shadows: Most of the time, the
> part of the original object OUTSIDE the bounding object still cast
> shadows, but not always.
> It's mostly appen when using some infinite primitive, like a quadric,
> but can also appen if the bounded object is a finite primitive or some CSG.

This is /not/ a bug: bounded_by is /not/ supposed to be used for visual
effects (and never was). It is /solely/ intended for improving the
rendering speed in cases where POV-Ray's automatic bounding mechanism
computes far too large bounding boxes.

You may want to try clipped_by instead, or just use a proper
intersection, depending on what you intend to achieve.

Post a reply to this message