POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Bug with bounded_by : Re: Bug with bounded_by Server Time
28 Apr 2024 17:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug with bounded_by
From: clipka
Date: 11 Feb 2013 12:40:08
Message: <51192cf8$1@news.povray.org>
Am 11.02.2013 18:01, schrieb Alain:
> While rendering some older scenes, I stumbled on this one.
>
> The bounding don't work correctly when used in a way similar to an
> intersection.
> The bounded object itself is not bounded correctly, it's as if the
> bounding object is oriented relative to the camera.
> Next, there is a huge problem with the shadows: Most of the time, the
> part of the original object OUTSIDE the bounding object still cast
> shadows, but not always.
> It's mostly appen when using some infinite primitive, like a quadric,
> but can also appen if the bounded object is a finite primitive or some CSG.

This is /not/ a bug: bounded_by is /not/ supposed to be used for visual
effects (and never was). It is /solely/ intended for improving the
rendering speed in cases where POV-Ray's automatic bounding mechanism
computes far too large bounding boxes.

You may want to try clipped_by instead, or just use a proper
intersection, depending on what you intend to achieve.