POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Bug with bounded_by : Re: Bug with bounded_by Server Time
28 Apr 2024 23:58:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug with bounded_by
From: clipka
Date: 12 Feb 2013 04:53:32
Message: <511a111c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 12.02.2013 03:22, schrieb Alain:

> What I've done is merely reproducing what I found to be causing some
> problem in an older scene from someone else that I rendered at a larger
> resolution and some added features.
> Apparently, there was a time when this was commonly used.

... which was a bad idea to do, and it apparently took a while to
convince people to cease doing it, yes.

> I KNOW that bounded_by is not intended for that use.

Then you should know better than to call it a bug (unless of course you
call it a bug of the scene file).

> One of the problems seems to be that, some shadow rays that /never
> reatch/ the bounding object /do/ generate shadows.
> If you render the provided scene, you'll see shadows in areas that are
> visible far from the visible part.

I can well imagine this happening, due to shadow caching: Each render
thread keeps track, on a per light source basis, of the last opaque
object it found to block that particular light source. This very object
will be tested first for the next shadow test. Apparently the bounding
box test is bypassed in this case, and I can actually imagine reasons
for doing so.