POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Subsurface Light Transport and mesh2 Server Time
18 May 2024 14:28:36 EDT (-0400)
  Subsurface Light Transport and mesh2 (Message 4 to 13 of 13)
From: FlyerX
Subject: Re: Subsurface Light Transport and mesh2
Date: 25 Mar 2012 16:17:17
Message: <4f6f7d4d@news.povray.org>
On 3/25/2012 8:50 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 25.03.2012 10:58, schrieb FlyerX:
>
>> I have been having some issues with the new Subsurface Light Transport.
>> If the mesh is made up of several sub-meshes the seams between them are
>> darkened.
>
> I've never seen anything like this before with PoseRay output. (I very
> much presume you're using PoseRay for generating the POV-Ray mesh2
> objects yourself, right?)

Yes, this is a PoseRay output scene. The issue happens with all the
models that have several materials on the same mesh. PoseRay breaks the
model mesh by materials.

>> If I merge the mesh outside of POV-Ray into a single mesh with a single
>> material for the complete head skin then the dark seams disappear. But I
>> cannot merge the mesh outside POV-Ray since that would destroy the
>> separate UV mapping that each mesh uses.
>
> Theoretically it should be possible to merge into a mesh2 with multiple
> textures without loss.
>
>> Also the edges of the polygons are slightly visible on the forehead.
>> That was easily fixed by subdividing the mesh before rendering.
>
> That's a known problem, and difficult to fix without some significant
> internal changes to surface normal handling. At present, subdividing is
> indeed the only known workaround.

Post a reply to this message

From: FlyerX
Date: 25 Mar 2012 16:19:52
Message: <4f6f7de8$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/25/2012 8:50 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 25.03.2012 10:58, schrieb FlyerX:
>
>> I have been having some issues with the new Subsurface Light Transport.
>> If the mesh is made up of several sub-meshes the seams between them are
>> darkened.
>
> I've never seen anything like this before with PoseRay output. (I very
> much presume you're using PoseRay for generating the POV-Ray mesh2
> objects yourself, right?)
>
>> If I merge the mesh outside of POV-Ray into a single mesh with a single
>> material for the complete head skin then the dark seams disappear. But I
>> cannot merge the mesh outside POV-Ray since that would destroy the
>> separate UV mapping that each mesh uses.
>
> Theoretically it should be possible to merge into a mesh2 with multiple
> textures without loss.
>
>> Also the edges of the polygons are slightly visible on the forehead.
>> That was easily fixed by subdividing the mesh before rendering.
>
> That's a known problem, and difficult to fix without some significant
> internal changes to surface normal handling. At present, subdividing is
> indeed the only known workaround.

Here is the material I used on the skin:

#declare PR_DIFFUSE=pigment {color srgb <0.93,0.71,0.54> }
#declare F1=finish{specular 0 //Max highlight intensity: 0 -> 1
                    roughness 0.02203444 //surface roughness: 0.0005 -> 1
                    phong 0 phong_size 0 //Phong specular disabled

                    ambient rgb <0.00,0.00,0.00>
                    diffuse 0.6
                    reflection{0 } conserve_energy
                    subsurface {translucency 0.8}
}
material{
          texture{uv_mapping
                  pigment{PR_DIFFUSE  }
                  finish{F1}
                 }
  interior{ior 1}
         }

***and here are the global settings

global_settings {
subsurface {}
mm_per_unit 25
}

Post a reply to this message

Not that I think it matters, but why ior 1? That would be air. Realistic
skin should be something around 1.3.

Post a reply to this message

> Here is the material I used on the skin:
>
> #declare PR_DIFFUSE=pigment {color srgb <0.93,0.71,0.54> }
> #declare F1=finish{specular 0 //Max highlight intensity: 0 -> 1
> roughness 0.02203444 //surface roughness: 0.0005 -> 1
> phong 0 phong_size 0 //Phong specular disabled
>
> ambient rgb <0.00,0.00,0.00>
> diffuse 0.6
> reflection{0 } conserve_energy
> subsurface {translucency 0.8}
> }
> material{
> texture{uv_mapping
> pigment{PR_DIFFUSE }
> finish{F1}
> }
> interior{ior 1}
> }

OK, here's the deal: To avoid SSLT seams between multiple objects, they
currently must /share/ a common interior - it's not sufficient to have
interiors with identical parameters, or even instances of the same
#define'd interior. The only way to achieve this is to specify the
interior in the parent CSG rather than the individual primitives.

Thus, to get the desired results, you need to:

- REMOVE any interior statements from the material.
- ADD the interior statement to the union or merge.
- For each part that needs a different ior (e.g. eyelashes or teeth) add
an individual interior statement.

Post a reply to this message

>> Here is the material I used on the skin:
>>
>> #declare PR_DIFFUSE=pigment {color srgb <0.93,0.71,0.54> }
>> #declare F1=finish{specular 0 //Max highlight intensity: 0 -> 1
>> roughness 0.02203444 //surface roughness: 0.0005 -> 1
>> phong 0 phong_size 0 //Phong specular disabled
>>
>> ambient rgb <0.00,0.00,0.00>
>> diffuse 0.6
>> reflection{0 } conserve_energy
>> subsurface {translucency 0.8}
>> }
>> material{
>> texture{uv_mapping
>> pigment{PR_DIFFUSE }
>> finish{F1}
>> }
>> interior{ior 1}
>> }
>
> OK, here's the deal: To avoid SSLT seams between multiple objects, they
> currently must /share/ a common interior - it's not sufficient to have
> interiors with identical parameters, or even instances of the same
> #define'd interior. The only way to achieve this is to specify the
> interior in the parent CSG rather than the individual primitives.
>
> Thus, to get the desired results, you need to:
>
> - REMOVE any interior statements from the material.
> - ADD the interior statement to the union or merge.
> - For each part that needs a different ior (e.g. eyelashes or teeth) add
> an individual interior statement.

Thanks. It works now. I just added a material{interior{ior 1.3}} at the
end of the grouped skin meshes. Is union or merge better for SSLT? What
about translucency color? is there a range that gives better results for
human skin?

I used ior of 1 just to make sure that no other effects were giving me
the dark edges.

FlyerX

Post a reply to this message