POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Re: Memory Leak? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 23:52:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory Leak? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Memory Leak?
Date: 25 Nov 2010 03:33:05
Message: <4cee1f41$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.11.2010 05:28, schrieb Anthony D. Baye in povray.general:
> I think beta 39 might have a memory leak.  When I render with radiosity, it
> slows my computer down so bad it grinds to a halt.
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 10.4 on a Fujitsu Lifebook T5010 with an intel core 2 duo
> processor.  I know it has over a gig of memory.  There's no reason for it to bog
> down on a render like that.

That definitely depends on the scene you're rendering, most notably its
radiosity settings.

I once designed a scene that turned out to require so maddeningly high
quality settings that even the 6 GB I have available weren't enough.
While that scene was /designed/ to be a pathological case, there is the
definite possibility of achieving such high memory requirements by a
mere typo in the settings.

Still, are you sure it is POV-Ray memory consumption that's bogging down
your system?

(OOC, how did you get your hands on beta 39 for Linux in the first
place? AFAIK there is neither an official Linux build for that beta yet,
nor a source code release for either Windows or Linux.)

Post a reply to this message

> Am 24.11.2010 05:28, schrieb Anthony D. Baye in povray.general:
> > I think beta 39 might have a memory leak.  When I render with radiosity, it
> > slows my computer down so bad it grinds to a halt.
> >
> > I'm running Ubuntu 10.4 on a Fujitsu Lifebook T5010 with an intel core 2 duo
> > processor.  I know it has over a gig of memory.  There's no reason for it to bog
> > down on a render like that.
>
> That definitely depends on the scene you're rendering, most notably its
> radiosity settings.
>
> I once designed a scene that turned out to require so maddeningly high
> quality settings that even the 6 GB I have available weren't enough.
> While that scene was /designed/ to be a pathological case, there is the
> definite possibility of achieving such high memory requirements by a
> mere typo in the settings.
>
> Still, are you sure it is POV-Ray memory consumption that's bogging down
> your system?
>
> (OOC, how did you get your hands on beta 39 for Linux in the first
> place? AFAIK there is neither an official Linux build for that beta yet,
> nor a source code release for either Windows or Linux.)

Sorry, my mistake... It's beta 38. I guess I had been assuming I had 39 because
it's the latest linux sources.

As for the settings, they aren't that bad.  count 150, pretrace start 0.02, *end
0.005, everything else is default.  The only thing I can think of, since I
believe I have run radiosity scenes with this compile before, is that it's an
open scene. I was testing whether radiosity would have any effect on my cracked
moon (p.b.i Re: crackling a sphere)

And I am pretty sure it's pov that's to blame, I've tried it twice, and it bogs
down so much it refuses to accept a shutdown command.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message