POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Re: Memory Leak? : Re: Memory Leak? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 15:02:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory Leak?
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 25 Nov 2010 12:35:00
Message: <web.4cee9cb348404f2d507e8a090@news.povray.org>
> Am 24.11.2010 05:28, schrieb Anthony D. Baye in povray.general:
> > I think beta 39 might have a memory leak.  When I render with radiosity, it
> > slows my computer down so bad it grinds to a halt.
> >
> > I'm running Ubuntu 10.4 on a Fujitsu Lifebook T5010 with an intel core 2 duo
> > processor.  I know it has over a gig of memory.  There's no reason for it to bog
> > down on a render like that.
>
> That definitely depends on the scene you're rendering, most notably its
> radiosity settings.
>
> I once designed a scene that turned out to require so maddeningly high
> quality settings that even the 6 GB I have available weren't enough.
> While that scene was /designed/ to be a pathological case, there is the
> definite possibility of achieving such high memory requirements by a
> mere typo in the settings.
>
> Still, are you sure it is POV-Ray memory consumption that's bogging down
> your system?
>
> (OOC, how did you get your hands on beta 39 for Linux in the first
> place? AFAIK there is neither an official Linux build for that beta yet,
> nor a source code release for either Windows or Linux.)

Sorry, my mistake... It's beta 38. I guess I had been assuming I had 39 because
it's the latest linux sources.

As for the settings, they aren't that bad.  count 150, pretrace start 0.02, *end
0.005, everything else is default.  The only thing I can think of, since I
believe I have run radiosity scenes with this compile before, is that it's an
open scene. I was testing whether radiosity would have any effect on my cracked
moon (p.b.i Re: crackling a sphere)

And I am pretty sure it's pov that's to blame, I've tried it twice, and it bogs
down so much it refuses to accept a shutdown command.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

A.D.B.