POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 38 - NOTE: "AMBIENT" NO LONGER WORKS IN RADIOSITY SCENES Server Time
29 Jun 2024 11:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Beta 38 - NOTE: "AMBIENT" NO LONGER WORKS IN RADIOSITY SCENES (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: clipka
Subject: Beta 38 - NOTE: "AMBIENT" NO LONGER WORKS IN RADIOSITY SCENES
Date: 2 Jul 2010 03:48:39
Message: <4c2d99d7$1@news.povray.org>
As of beta 38, the "ambient" keyword no longer works in radiosity scenes.

*IT'S NOT A BUG, IT'S A FEATURE*.

Honestly.

For legacy scenes using a "#version 3.6" statement, nothing has changed;
ambient should work just as it did before.

Otherwise, radiosity scenes will now be rendered as if "ambient_light"
had been set to 0, i.e. materials with an "ambient" parameter will /not/
seem to emit light anymore.

To model light-emitting surfaces, a new finish parameter "emission" has
been added, which will do just the same as "ambient" previously did,
except that it is unaffected by the global ambient_light setting.

It is also recommended to use the "emission" keyword in non-radiosity
scenes for anything you want to look like glowing, and use "ambient"
only to model local ambient illumination, so that transition to using
radiosity is straightforward.

Post a reply to this message

> As of beta 38, the "ambient" keyword no longer works in radiosity scenes.
>
> *IT'S NOT A BUG, IT'S A FEATURE*.
>
> Honestly.
>
> For legacy scenes using a "#version 3.6" statement, nothing has changed;
> ambient should work just as it did before.
>
> Otherwise, radiosity scenes will now be rendered as if "ambient_light"
> had been set to 0, i.e. materials with an "ambient" parameter will /not/
> seem to emit light anymore.
>
> To model light-emitting surfaces, a new finish parameter "emission" has
> been added, which will do just the same as "ambient" previously did,
> except that it is unaffected by the global ambient_light setting.
>

> It is also recommended to use the "emission" keyword in non-radiosity
> scenes for anything you want to look like glowing, and use "ambient"
> only to model local ambient illumination, so that transition to using
> radiosity is straightforward.

Makes sense, I guess, since IRL a light bulb is not "extra ambient"
compared to something else.

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

> > As of beta 38, the "ambient" keyword no longer works in radiosity scenes.
> >
> > *IT'S NOT A BUG, IT'S A FEATURE*.
> >
> > Honestly.
> >
> > For legacy scenes using a "#version 3.6" statement, nothing has changed;
> > ambient should work just as it did before.
> >
> > Otherwise, radiosity scenes will now be rendered as if "ambient_light"
> > had been set to 0, i.e. materials with an "ambient" parameter will /not/
> > seem to emit light anymore.
> >
> > To model light-emitting surfaces, a new finish parameter "emission" has
> > been added, which will do just the same as "ambient" previously did,
> > except that it is unaffected by the global ambient_light setting.
> >

> > It is also recommended to use the "emission" keyword in non-radiosity
> > scenes for anything you want to look like glowing, and use "ambient"
> > only to model local ambient illumination, so that transition to using
> > radiosity is straightforward.
>

> Makes sense, I guess, since IRL a light bulb is not "extra ambient"
> compared to something else.
>

> --
> http://isometricland.com

Great! would it be really pushing too much to ask such a feature request as to
make this mappable with bitmap files: emission_map, just like bump_map or
image_map?

Post a reply to this message

> Great! would it be really pushing too much to ask such a feature request as to
> make this mappable with bitmap files: emission_map, just like bump_map or
> image_map?

Yes - at present, I guess it would ;-)

texture_map should get you there for now.

Post a reply to this message

> Great! would it be really pushing too much to ask such a feature
request as to
 > make this mappable with bitmap files: emission_map, just like bump_map or
 > image_map?

I think it would be more practical if 'finish' in general was mappable
with patterns, like pigments are. I mean, since we're dreaming. =)

  - Slime

Post a reply to this message

> > Great! would it be really pushing too much to ask such a feature request as to
> > make this mappable with bitmap files: emission_map, just like bump_map or
> > image_map?
>
> Yes - at present, I guess it would ;-)
>
> texture_map should get you there for now.

I won't ask it, then... Thanks for hearing it without me asking and still
sparing my life. :)

Post a reply to this message

> Great! would it be really pushing too much to ask such a feature request as to
> make this mappable with bitmap files: emission_map, just like bump_map or
> image_map?

Do you mean like a glow map?

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

> > Great! would it be really pushing too much to ask such a feature request as to
> > make this mappable with bitmap files: emission_map, just like bump_map or
> > image_map?
> >

> Do you mean like a glow map?
>

> --
> http://isometricland.com

I meant to make like TV/ computer screens :)

Post a reply to this message

>>> Great! would it be really pushing too much to ask such a feature request as to
>>> make this mappable with bitmap files: emission_map, just like bump_map or
>>> image_map?

> I meant to make like TV/ computer screens :)

You might try modeling it via the LCD approach: An emission object as
backlight, and a filtering one right in front.

Post a reply to this message

Le 02/07/2010 09:48, clipka nous fit lire :
> As of beta 38, the "ambient" keyword no longer works in radiosity scenes.
>
> *IT'S NOT A BUG, IT'S A FEATURE*.
>
> Honestly.
>
> For legacy scenes using a "#version 3.6" statement, nothing has changed;
> ambient should work just as it did before.
>
> Otherwise, radiosity scenes will now be rendered as if "ambient_light"
> had been set to 0, i.e. materials with an "ambient" parameter will /not/
> seem to emit light anymore.
>
> To model light-emitting surfaces, a new finish parameter "emission" has
> been added, which will do just the same as "ambient" previously did,
> except that it is unaffected by the global ambient_light setting.
>

> It is also recommended to use the "emission" keyword in non-radiosity
> scenes for anything you want to look like glowing, and use "ambient"
> only to model local ambient illumination, so that transition to using
> radiosity is straightforward.

Please revisit the stacker*.pov files, as:
stackernight.pov is now rendered in full black,
other stacker* get a significant change in colours/lights.