POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Render Priority Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:32:32 EDT (-0400)
  Render Priority (Message 32 to 41 of 41)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Render Priority
Date: 28 May 2010 03:20:00
Message: <4bff6ea0$1@news.povray.org>
"Nicolas Alvarez" <nic### [at] gmailcom> schreef in bericht
> Getting 100% CPU usage is expected. But you shouldn't be getting any
> slowdown.
>
> Processes with low priority get all the CPU timeslices that aren't being
> used by a process with higher priority. As soon as an app in normal
> priority
> tries to use the CPU, POV-Ray will use less of it.

I understand that. My experience however is that, with the (low priority)
3.7 render active in the background, all other rapplications I start/use,
regularly /hang/ for some time (seconds to tens of seconds) before resuming
again. This is not the case with version 3.6, or at least hardly noticeable.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Am 28.05.2010 09:19, schrieb Thomas de Groot:

>> Processes with low priority get all the CPU timeslices that aren't being
>> used by a process with higher priority. As soon as an app in normal
>> priority
>> tries to use the CPU, POV-Ray will use less of it.
>>

> I understand that. My experience however is that, with the (low priority)
> 3.7 render active in the background, all other rapplications I start/use,
> regularly /hang/ for some time (seconds to tens of seconds) before resuming

Same here.

I guess the Windows scheduler gives comparatively long time slices to
processes, and doesn't cut them short even if higher-priority processes
are ready. So while in /theory/ applications shouldn't bother about
scheduling, in /practice/ it would be good if POV-Ray yielded its time
slices now and again, at least on Windows systems.

Post a reply to this message