POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Render Priority : Re: Render Priority Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:31:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render Priority
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 28 May 2010 07:04:33
Message: <op.vdew1srk7bxctx@toad.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Fri, 28 May 2010 12:36:58 +0200, clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

> I guess the Windows scheduler gives comparatively long time slices to
> processes, and doesn't cut them short even if higher-priority processes
> are ready.

That is not what they say:

"If a higher-priority thread becomes available to run, the system ceases
to execute the lower-priority thread (without allowing it to finish using
its time slice), and assigns a full time slice to the higher-priority
thread."

A quick test on my own system shows that the GUI of other applications can
get slightly sluggish during a render, but not if I disable the preview
display. Perhaps POV-Ray spends a noticeable amount of time drawing the
preview (GDI functions are notoriously slow) and Windows does not want to
preempt that (either because some parts are non-reentrant or because
drawing to the screen temporarily boosts priority; I do not know).

--
FE