POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place? (Message 17 to 26 of 26)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place?
Date: 5 Jan 2009 00:30:01
Message: <web.49619a83dc46c7bfc38b01850@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Is it really worth the pain?  At work we use Delphi and now and then when we
> have to install or update plugins it's always a terrible annoyance involving
> manual and stupid registry editing.  The GUI is supposed to hide details away
> and make the structure stand out of anything but in the end it just comes in
> the way.  Apparently, you can't copy registry keys around with ease or remove
> them at will without first.  It's a painful step-by-step procedure.  To call
> that "ease of use" is a joke.

Average-end-user ease of use.

The average end user has no reason for messing around with the registry in the
first place - or with any .ini files, for that matter.

You're by no means an average end user.

Post a reply to this message

From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 5 Jan 2009 12:49:35
Message: <4962482f$1@news.povray.org>
> IIRC this issue was discussed at some length in a vista thread some time
> back; the locations I am using are I believe the most appropriate ones for
> Vista and are backwards-compatible with XP and W2K.

Yes, the main suggestion was just to adapt the text to make it
clearer (and preferably change the default setting), because it
is not so intuitive that the install location will be hard-coded
to a different place when you don't say "install for all users".

> To properly install a 64-bit app requires a 64-bit installer

In what way? I recently used NSIS at work to build a rather
huge installer including support for installation of 64-bit
applications and libraries. This works perfectly fine even if
the installer runs as a 32-bit process. There are only few
things to consider, such as using the appropriate version
of $PROGRAMFILES for your desired result, and the correct
root key for making changes to the 64-bit branch of the
registry. There is not even a need to make separate
installers for 32 and 64 bit, if you can live with
a bit of overhead for packaging both binaries.

Hey, even Microsoft's own Visual Studio 2005/8 used to build
the 64-bit applications in the first place is only available
as a 32-bit binary  ;)

Post a reply to this message

> In what way? I recently used NSIS at work to build a rather
> huge installer including support for installation of 64-bit
> applications and libraries. This works perfectly fine even if
> the installer runs as a 32-bit process. There are only few
> things to consider, such as using the appropriate version
> of $PROGRAMFILES for your desired result, and the correct
> root key for making changes to the 64-bit branch of the
> registry. There is not even a need to make separate
> installers for 32 and 64 bit, if you can live with
> a bit of overhead for packaging both binaries.

This is a common question, and the fact that it *appears* you can install
programs on Win64 with a 32-bit executable has been an impediment in
getting software engineers to understand the issue. Perhaps they have
updated NSIS to be a 64-bit program now, but certainly last time I looked
into it, it was only 32-bit, and they had no intention of changing.

A 32-bit installer cannot (easily) *properly* install 64-bit programs in
Win64. It cannot, for example, put anything into "Program Files", any
accesses to this are redirected by the OS to "Program Files (x86)".
Here's a summary:

  http://developer.amd.com/pages/316200464.aspx

While there are work-arounds for many of these issues (e.g. disabling the
WOW64 file redirection is possible via an API call), I'd rather go with the
flow than fight the system.

NB I'd like to make it clear that I am not saying that a 64-bit user-mode
program installed by a 32-bit installer won't work. It will. I'm saying
that unless you make special effort, it won't be installed in the standard
location for 64-bit binaries, and there may be other issues that turn up
that are related to the WOW64 layer being applied to the system view of the
installer program but not to the installed program. It really comes back to
what the installed program is designed to expect.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message