POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place? : Re: Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place?
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 5 Jan 2009 12:49:35
Message: <4962482f$1@news.povray.org>
> IIRC this issue was discussed at some length in a vista thread some time
> back; the locations I am using are I believe the most appropriate ones for
> Vista and are backwards-compatible with XP and W2K.

Yes, the main suggestion was just to adapt the text to make it
clearer (and preferably change the default setting), because it
is not so intuitive that the install location will be hard-coded
to a different place when you don't say "install for all users".

> To properly install a 64-bit app requires a 64-bit installer

In what way? I recently used NSIS at work to build a rather
huge installer including support for installation of 64-bit
applications and libraries. This works perfectly fine even if
the installer runs as a 32-bit process. There are only few
things to consider, such as using the appropriate version
of $PROGRAMFILES for your desired result, and the correct
root key for making changes to the 64-bit branch of the
registry. There is not even a need to make separate
installers for 32 and 64 bit, if you can live with
a bit of overhead for packaging both binaries.

Hey, even Microsoft's own Visual Studio 2005/8 used to build
the 64-bit applications in the first place is only available
as a 32-bit binary  ;)