POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place? : Re: Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is Povray 3.7 for Windows installed in such a stupid place?
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 7 Jan 2009 18:13:23
Message: <49653713$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:

> This is a common question, and the fact that it *appears* you can install
> programs on Win64 with a 32-bit executable has been an impediment in
> getting software engineers to understand the issue. Perhaps they have
> updated NSIS to be a 64-bit program now, but certainly last time I looked
> into it, it was only 32-bit, and they had no intention of changing.

While they haven't made it a 64-bit program, they added full
support for installing 64-bit applications. It looks like this
happened around April 2007 / release 2.26, so it might not have
been in the version you tested. For example, the variables
$PROGRAMFILES32 and $PROGRAMFILES64 can be used to select
the desired target directory explicitely. I don't know if
this means they disable some redirection internally.