POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Rendering Truetype Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:53:24 EDT (-0400)
  Rendering Truetype (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: John Coppens
Subject: Rendering Truetype
Date: 27 Nov 2009 14:30:07
Message: <20091127163005.a43c31f3.john@johncoppens.com>
Hello all.

I was rendering a title sequence for a short 'documentary', and found
that accented characters seem to locate different than normal ones. For

position in 'Cordoba'.

I first thought the font might be problematic, but rendering the same
text in the GIMP, using the same font file, gives a correct result. I
tried with different kerning settings there (in GIMP) and the result was
always ok.

Does POVray use a proper kerning algorithm, which might be trown off by
accents?

John

PS: The font is DejaVuSans.ttf,
http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Post a reply to this message

John Coppens <joh### [at] johncoppenscom> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I was rendering a title sequence for a short 'documentary', and found
> that accented characters seem to locate different than normal ones. For

> position in 'Cordoba'.
>
> I first thought the font might be problematic, but rendering the same
> text in the GIMP, using the same font file, gives a correct result. I
> tried with different kerning settings there (in GIMP) and the result was
> always ok.
>
> Does POVray use a proper kerning algorithm, which might be trown off by
> accents?
>
> John
>
> PS: The font is DejaVuSans.ttf,
> http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

While I haven't experienced that exact problem, I have noticed POV doing odd
things with some fonts. I *think* it only occurs with poorly-designed TrueType
fonts; fonts that were derived from PostScript fonts seem to behave properly.

My workaround is to render the text in another program & use it in POV as a
heightfield. In fact, I find this often looks better than doing text extrusion
in POV, even with well-behaved fonts. Also, you have more control over the
extrusion process with this method.

IIRC, with POV-Ray version 3.6 there is a slight change in the way the program
handles text, and it generally looks better than it did in earlier versions. I
don't know if further improvements have been made for 3.7.

Post a reply to this message