POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Rendering Truetype : Re: Rendering Truetype (more info) Server Time
4 Jul 2024 14:26:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering Truetype (more info)
From: John Coppens
Date: 28 Nov 2009 10:58:49
Message: <20091128125847.72632885.john@johncoppens.com>
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 21:00:30 EST
"PM 2Ring" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> My workaround is to render the text in another program & use it in POV
> as a heightfield. In fact, I find this often looks better than doing
> text extrusion in POV, even with well-behaved fonts. Also, you have
> more control over the extrusion process with this method.

Yes, I've done this before. But the quality of the font rendering by
itself is really good now. To obtain a comparably good title strip, I'd
probably have to generate an huge image (it's a long text ;)

The DejaVu font project is quite serious, and the fonts produced are
excellent (and cover many languages). I'd be surprised if the accented
character problem originates in the font itself.

BTW, a first pass finished (after 4 hours of rendering) shows that the

http://imagebin.org/73303
http://imagebin.org/73304

John