POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : GUI extensions with Vista Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:15:32 EDT (-0400)
  GUI extensions with Vista (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Stephen
Subject: GUI extensions with Vista
Date: 1 Apr 2008 10:14:32
Message: <u9k4v3p7uo4ocpqfjfuhggscd5smsp4or0@4ax.com>
Has anyone set up Moray to run with Pov 3.7? I've tried and I can't
I really want to run it with Bishop3D which uses an entry in
pvengine.ini like Moray does. But the revision.txt says "remove last
vestiges of pvengine.ini support (with exception for compatibility in
GUIEXT and Move pvtools.ini to logged-in user's Application
Data\POV-Ray for Windows directory.)" so I assumed that Ver 3.7 uses
pvengine.ini for that. But where does it look for it? I installed Ver
3.6 in C:\Graphics\Pov... and there was no entry in user's Application
Data\POV- ...
Where should the unzipped files from the Beta go?
Any help will be appreciated.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

Stephen nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/04/01 11:14:
> Has anyone set up Moray to run with Pov 3.7? I've tried and I can't
> I really want to run it with Bishop3D which uses an entry in
> pvengine.ini like Moray does. But the revision.txt says "remove last
> vestiges of pvengine.ini support (with exception for compatibility in
> GUIEXT and Move pvtools.ini to logged-in user's Application
> Data\POV-Ray for Windows directory.)" so I assumed that Ver 3.7 uses
> pvengine.ini for that. But where does it look for it? I installed Ver
> 3.6 in C:\Graphics\Pov... and there was no entry in user's Application
> Data\POV- ...
> Where should the unzipped files from the Beta go?
> Any help will be appreciated.

To install the beta, create a new folder. It can be there by itself in the main
POV-Ray folder, or as a subfolder in the bin folder. unzip the files to that
folder. Create a shortcut to the beta version.
You can now use either the regular 3.6.1 or the 3.7 beta version. When a new
beta get available, overwrite the old beta with the new one.
It's importent that you keep all the files from the regular release as the are.

POV-Ray 3.7 no longer use the "pvengine.ini" file. Those settings have been
moved to the registry.

--
Alain
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what happened.

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 12:45:20 -0400, Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet>
wrote:

>To install the beta, create a new folder. It can be there by itself in the main
>POV-Ray folder, or as a subfolder in the bin folder. unzip the files to that
>folder. Create a shortcut to the beta version.
>You can now use either the regular 3.6.1 or the 3.7 beta version. When a new
>beta get available, overwrite the old beta with the new one.
>It's importent that you keep all the files from the regular release as the are.

Thanks, I've done that Alain and can get Pov-Ray to run, it whizzes
using both cores :)

>POV-Ray 3.7 no longer use the "pvengine.ini" file. Those settings have been
>moved to the registry.

Since I want to use the GUI extensions I take it that I should
manually edit the registry?
What should the values be? My current ones are:

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3974771696-4222137879-3656950552-1000\Software\POV-Ray\v3.6\Windows\Engine\GUIExtensions]
"UseExtensions"=dword:00000001

And

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\POV-Ray\v3.6\Windows\Engine\GUIExtensions]
"UseExtensions"=dword:00000001

Name	Type	Data
Default	REG_SZ	(Value not set
UseExtensions	REG_DWORD	1

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

Stephen nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/04/01 13:53:
> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 12:45:20 -0400, Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet>
> wrote:
>

>> To install the beta, create a new folder. It can be there by itself in the main
>> POV-Ray folder, or as a subfolder in the bin folder. unzip the files to that
>> folder. Create a shortcut to the beta version.
>> You can now use either the regular 3.6.1 or the 3.7 beta version. When a new
>> beta get available, overwrite the old beta with the new one.
>> It's importent that you keep all the files from the regular release as the are.
>>

> Thanks, I've done that Alain and can get Pov-Ray to run, it whizzes
> using both cores :)
>
>> POV-Ray 3.7 no longer use the "pvengine.ini" file. Those settings have been
>> moved to the registry.
>
> Since I want to use the GUI extensions I take it that I should
> manually edit the registry?
> What should the values be? My current ones are:

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3974771696-4222137879-3656950552-1000\Software\POV-Ray\v3.6\Windows\Engine\GUIExtensions]
> "UseExtensions"=dword:00000001
>
> And
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\POV-Ray\v3.6\Windows\Engine\GUIExtensions]
> "UseExtensions"=dword:00000001
>
> Name	Type	Data
> Default	REG_SZ	(Value not set
> UseExtensions	REG_DWORD	1

Look also for:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\POV-Ray\v3.6\Windows\Engine\General
All the values listed. You'll see that they match the entries of pvengine.ini.

This is where the settings are saved.

--
Alain
   I know I'm not sexy. When I put my underwear on I can hear the Fruit-

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 1 Apr 2008 16:50:13
Message: <0gb5v355rgdt10h5pgr12oidkp6kqttsuo@4ax.com>
On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:48:42 -0400, Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet>
wrote:

>Look also for:
>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\POV-Ray\v3.6\Windows\Engine\General
>All the values listed. You'll see that they match the entries of pvengine.ini.
>
>This is where the settings are saved.

Well I did and could find nothing for GUI extensions or
PrimaryINIFILE. I downloaded Moray and Pov 3.5 and can get Moray to
start 3.5, 3.6 and 3.7 although 3.7 hung as did Moray but at least it
started. Do you have any settings for the GUI or PrimaryINIFILE (I
think that's what it might be called as I can see SecondaryINIFile in
General and no entries in GUIExtensions)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 3 Apr 2008 08:37:26
Message: <pum9v391t0e2pp14381qf7281jlgpof0uv@4ax.com>
wrote:

>Look also for:
>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\POV-Ray\v3.6\Windows\Engine\General
>All the values listed. You'll see that they match the entries of pvengine.ini.
>
>This is where the settings are saved.

I worked it out :)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\POV-Ray\v3.6\Windows\Engine\GUIExtensions]
"UseExtensions"=dword:00000001
"ExtDLL18"="C:\\Graphics\\Bishop3D\\Bishop3DPovComm.dll"

I have to start Pov-Ray first and the OpenGl doesn't update in the
modeller but it will render with both cores Hmm! :)

Thanks for your help Alain
--

Regards
     Stephen