POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Best render farm? Also You Tube upload advice sought Server Time
27 Jul 2024 12:27:40 EDT (-0400)
  Best render farm? Also You Tube upload advice sought (Message 11 to 20 of 31)
From: Jonathan Bush
Subject: Re: Best render farm? Also You Tube upload advice sought
Date: 7 Jun 2024 11:40:00
Message: <web.66632964e8b973146e558a71fde6c206@news.povray.org>
yesbird <sya### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 07/06/2024 17:49, Jonathan Bush wrote:
> > The first 420 frames are static, to be replaced by a file exported from
> > Inkscape. Then there are 180 static frames which POVray needs to generate only
> > once.
> > Then come 9300 animated frames.
> > Finally the last 780 frames are static, which POVray generates only once.
> > So it may be challenging to make an accurate estimate how long it will all take.
> >

> Tricky, but you can check first 456 frames just for control here:
> https://povlab.online/data/animated.zip
> --
> YB

I cannot access that. When I try https://povlab.online/data I am FORBIDDEN

Post a reply to this message

From: yesbird
Date: 7 Jun 2024 11:47:33
Message: <66632b95$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/06/2024 18:38, Jonathan Bush wrote:
> I cannot access that. When I try https://povlab.online/data I am FORBIDDEN

Take from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16N6pZFAFCuQcSg4FGDS73gNhNmvB-1wz/view?usp=sharing
--
YB

Post a reply to this message

From: Jonathan Bush
Date: 7 Jun 2024 11:55:00
Message: <web.66632c7be8b973146e558a71fde6c206@news.povray.org>
yesbird <sya### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 07/06/2024 17:49, Jonathan Bush wrote:
>
> Got following error, looks like version issue, I am using 3.8 from here:
> https://github.com/LeForgeron/povray.

> Rendering frame 606 of 10681 (#606)
> Parser Options
>    Input file: ./L01game.pov (compatible to version 3.70)
>    Remove bounds........On
>    Split unions.........Off
>    Library paths:
>      /home/s/syanenzc/povlab.online/public_html/povray/share/povray-3.8
>
> /home/s/syanenzc/povlab.online/public_html/povray/share/povray-3.8/include
> Animation Options
>    Initial Frame:        1  Final Frame:    10681
>    Frame Step:           1
>    Initial Clock:    0.000  Final Clock:    0.000
>    Cyclic Animation.....Off  Field render.........Off  Odd
> lines/frames.....Off
> Image Output Options
>    Image resolution.....3840 by 2160 (rows 1 to 2160, columns 1 to 3840).
>    Output file............/frames4K/animated/L01game00606.png, 24 bpp PNG
>    Dithering............Off
>    Graphic display......On  (gamma: sRGB transfer function)
>    Mosaic preview.......Off
>    Continued trace......Off
> Information Output Options
>    All Streams to console..........On
>    Debug Stream to console.........On
>    Fatal Stream to console.........On
>    Render Stream to console........On
>    Statistics Stream to console....On
>    Warning Stream to console.......On
> ==== [Parsing...] ==========================================================
> ************** This is an animated frame. **************
> Row  1 is on layer  0
> Row  2 is on layer  2
> Row  3 is on layer  1
> Row  4 is on layer  0
> Row  5 is on layer  2
> Row  6 is on layer  1
> File 'L01text.inc' line 10: Possible Parse Error: Text may not be
> displayed as
>   expected. Please refer to the user manual regarding changes in POV-Ray
> v3.8 and
>   later.
> File 'L01text.inc' line 10: Possible Parse Error: Text may not be
> displayed as
>   expected. Please refer to the user manual regarding changes in POV-Ray
> v3.8 and
>   later.
> --
> YB

The very first executable line in L01game.pov is
#version 3.7;
So I don't know why your POVray code would run my code in the first place.
I never heard of 3.8 existing before now. The download page at
https://www.povray.org/download/
only mentions 3.7
Where do I get this 3.8??

Also the line in question is a text object which follows the syntax of 3.7 as
far as I know:
      text { ttf "crystal.ttf" substr(ColumnLabels, cidx, 1) 1,0 }
Is this now wrong?

Post a reply to this message

On 07/06/2024 18:51, Jonathan Bush wrote:
> The very first executable line in L01game.pov is
> #version 3.7;
> So I don't know why your POVray code would run my code in the first place.
> I never heard of 3.8 existing before now. The download page at
> https://www.povray.org/download/
> only mentions 3.7
> Where do I get this 3.8??
Here: https://github.com/LeForgeron/povray
I've built it from sources, as I need stereo camera, that exists only
there. More info:
https://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Le_Forgeron/HgPovray38

> Also the line in question is a text object which follows the syntax of 3.7 as
> far as I know:
>        text { ttf "crystal.ttf" substr(ColumnLabels, cidx, 1) 1,0 }
> Is this now wrong?
Sorry, I don't know - not expert in 'text' function.
--
YB.

Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Date: 7 Jun 2024 12:10:00
Message: <web.66633070e8b97314869a24876cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Jonathan Bush" <djb### [at] gmxcom> wrote:
> I never heard of 3.8 existing before now. The download page at
> {...} only mentions 3.7
> Where do I get this 3.8??

<https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tags>

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jonathan Bush
Date: 7 Jun 2024 12:20:00
Message: <web.66633327e8b973146e558a71fde6c206@news.povray.org>
In my original post to this thread, I requested a render farm compatible with
3.7. Do I need to install this "LeForgeron" 3.8 in order to use povlab? What do
the original developers have to say about this fork? Do they approve? Is there
discord among the developers?

I can't even find the 3.8 manual on github. What's wrong with my text objects?
What other surprises can I expect?

I don't necessarily need to see your output of the first 450 frames. The first
420 of them should all be the same, just a text screen talking about "Lazo game
1- human versus Zillions engine- music by Schemawound." Frames 421 to 600 should
also be identical to each other, all a static overhead image of a game board and
two boxes of light versus black tiles. If you see coordinate labels on the top
and left, then my text objects worked okay.

And I would like to reiterate that the very first line of my code is

#version 3.7;

So why would your povray 3.8 run my code?
Thank you for your patience.

Post a reply to this message

From: yesbird
Date: 7 Jun 2024 12:23:53
Message: <66633419$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/06/2024 19:19, Jonathan Bush wrote:
> Thank you for your patience.

Always welcome !
That's all I was able to do for you.
--
YB

Post a reply to this message

From: Jonathan Bush
Date: 7 Jun 2024 12:40:00
Message: <web.66633704e8b973146e558a71fde6c206@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> "Jonathan Bush" <djb### [at] gmxcom> wrote:
> > I never heard of 3.8 existing before now. The download page at
> > {...} only mentions 3.7
> > Where do I get this 3.8??
>
> <https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tags>
>

> regards, jr.

Okay I will try to build 3.8 on my machine. This may take a day or so. I will
then modify my source for L01game and get back to you.

Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Date: 7 Jun 2024 13:50:00
Message: <web.6663477ae8b97314869a24876cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Jonathan Bush" <djb### [at] gmxcom> wrote:
> Okay I will try to build 3.8 on my machine. This may take a day or so.

rename your existing to 'povray37' or something first, else the installation
will overwrite the existing.

> I will then modify my source for L01game and get back to you.

you should not have to modify anything; it is fine to have scenes with a lower
'#version'.  let us know what trouble, if any, you encounter with that 'text{}'.

I had a very quick look at the archive, and fwiw, the naming is .. strange.  the
'povray.{conf,ini}' files, whether system-wide or personal, are meant to be
"static".  your "povray.ini" ought to be called 'L01game.ini', really.  is there
a particular reason for not using that ?

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jonathan Bush
Date: 7 Jun 2024 18:25:00
Message: <web.6663876be8b973146e558a71fde6c206@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> "Jonathan Bush" <djb### [at] gmxcom> wrote:
> > Okay I will try to build 3.8 on my machine. This may take a day or so.
>
> rename your existing to 'povray37' or something first, else the installation
> will overwrite the existing.
>

> > I will then modify my source for L01game and get back to you.
>
> you should not have to modify anything; it is fine to have scenes with a lower
> '#version'.  let us know what trouble, if any, you encounter with that 'text{}'.
>
> I had a very quick look at the archive, and fwiw, the naming is .. strange.  the
> 'povray.{conf,ini}' files, whether system-wide or personal, are meant to be
> "static".  your "povray.ini" ought to be called 'L01game.ini', really.  is there
> a particular reason for not using that ?
>

> regards, jr.

That's the convention I have been following. Every distinct povray project I do
has its own folder which contains a povray.ini file. I just always edit
povray.ini when I want to change resolution or framerate. Is this wrong? Wrong,
I am concerned about. Strange, not so much.

Meanwhile there is only one povray.conf file which now sits in
/usr/local/etc/povray/3.8 and requires superuser access to edit. And I have in
fact edited it already, to allow my post-frame command to work.

I have a question about the error message Yesbird encountered. It says "possible
parse error" but I don't find any difference in the 3.8 user manual in its
description of a text object. I also do not see the error message say that the
render halted. Was the render halted? If not, why not let it run and see what
happens?