POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Clockless_Animation Server Time
29 Apr 2024 02:22:01 EDT (-0400)
  Clockless_Animation (Message 25 to 34 of 44)
From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: Clockless_Animation
Date: 1 Jul 2017 12:20:01
Message: <web.5957cb35992dfbe2883fb31c0@news.povray.org>

> I can see Kenneth salivating now, rubbing his hands together, and getting the
> 42-cup coffee urn fired up for some very nice animations....   :D

 Yessirree!  (I haven't tried using UberPOV yet; I need to dip my toes into
that! So little time, so much to do...)

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 1 Jul 2017 12:27:40
Message: <5957cd7c$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/1/2017 5:17 PM, Kenneth wrote:

>> I can see Kenneth salivating now, rubbing his hands together, and getting the
>> 42-cup coffee urn fired up for some very nice animations....   :D
>>
>   Yessirree!  (I haven't tried using UberPOV yet; I need to dip my toes into
> that! So little time, so much to do...)

I is worth using it even it is only for the speedup.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 2 Jul 2017 12:05:00
Message: <web.5959191a992dfbe2883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
> Am 29.06.2017 um 21:05 schrieb Bald Eagle:
>

> You might be interested to hear that _UberPOV_ already provides an
> experimental mechanism that can be used to that end:
>
> [snip]

> (In UberPOV for Windows, this mechanism will even retain data between
> consecutive runs of a single-frame scene...

From visiting the UberPOV Github repository here...

https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV

... I'm honestly not sure how to download it, or which of the separate components
are needed. I assume that this is the Windows version(?) Does it need to be
*compiled* on my end? I don't see a clearly-labeled Windows executable there.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 2 Jul 2017 12:59:46
Message: <59592682$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/2/2017 5:02 PM, Kenneth wrote:
>> Am 29.06.2017 um 21:05 schrieb Bald Eagle:
>>

>> You might be interested to hear that _UberPOV_ already provides an
>> experimental mechanism that can be used to that end:
>>
>> [snip]
>
>> (In UberPOV for Windows, this mechanism will even retain data between
>> consecutive runs of a single-frame scene...
>
>  From visiting the UberPOV Github repository here...
>
> https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV
>
> .... I'm honestly not sure how to download it, or which of the separate components
> are needed. I assume that this is the Windows version(?) Does it need to be
> *compiled* on my end? I don't see a clearly-labeled Windows executable there.

There is a green button near the top right which will start a download.
I had a quick look at the zip file and could not see any msi or exe
files. so it looks like a compile.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: green
Date: 2 Jul 2017 15:40:00
Message: <web.59594b86992dfbe245c5fe030@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > Am 29.06.2017 um 21:05 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> >

> > You might be interested to hear that _UberPOV_ already provides an
> > experimental mechanism that can be used to that end:
> >
> > [snip]
>
> > (In UberPOV for Windows, this mechanism will even retain data between
> > consecutive runs of a single-frame scene...
>
> From visiting the UberPOV Github repository here...
>
> https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV
>
> ... I'm honestly not sure how to download it, or which of the separate components
> are needed. I assume that this is the Windows version(?) Does it need to be
> *compiled* on my end? I don't see a clearly-labeled Windows executable there.

it is not you; it is github.  github is retarded.  i suspect it was made by
linuxians.
  above the red bar is cryptic scribbling 'commits', 'branches', 'releases' etc,
click on 'releases'.  there you will find the binaries.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 2 Jul 2017 16:04:33
Message: <595951d1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.07.2017 um 18:02 schrieb Kenneth:

> From visiting the UberPOV Github repository here...
>
> https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV
>
> ... I'm honestly not sure how to download it, or which of the separate components
> are needed. I assume that this is the Windows version(?) Does it need to be
> *compiled* on my end? I don't see a clearly-labeled Windows executable there.

As guessed by Stephen, that would be the source package, which you
/could/ use to compile UberPOV from source codes.

To be precise, it would be the source package of the development branch,
with the latest changes, which is usually not what you want: Even if you
did intend to build from source code, you'd normally want an iteration
of the source code that has a well-defined version number associated,
which you can find at:

https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV/releases

There, for each such well-defined version you'll again find at least the
corresponding source code package (in both zip and tar.gz format), but
usually also pre-built Windows binaries.

I guess I should overhaul the `README.md` file (which is displayed at
the bottom of https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV) to include an obvious
link to the releases section; as soon as I find the time of course.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 2 Jul 2017 16:33:17
Message: <5959588d$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/2/2017 8:37 PM, green wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>>> Am 29.06.2017 um 21:05 schrieb Bald Eagle:
>>>

>>> You might be interested to hear that _UberPOV_ already provides an
>>> experimental mechanism that can be used to that end:
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>
>>> (In UberPOV for Windows, this mechanism will even retain data between
>>> consecutive runs of a single-frame scene...
>>
>>  From visiting the UberPOV Github repository here...
>>
>> https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV
>>
>> ... I'm honestly not sure how to download it, or which of the separate components
>> are needed. I assume that this is the Windows version(?) Does it need to be
>> *compiled* on my end? I don't see a clearly-labeled Windows executable there.
>
> it is not you; it is github.  github is retarded.  i suspect it was made by
> linuxians.

Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxD-5z_xHBU

>    above the red bar is cryptic scribbling 'commits', 'branches', 'releases' etc,
> click on 'releases'.  there you will find the binaries.

Thanks for the info. :D

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 2 Jul 2017 19:00:01
Message: <web.59597a38992dfbe2acfa72180@news.povray.org>
> Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!

You would make Davros proud.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 3 Jul 2017 01:51:42
Message: <5959db6e$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/2/2017 11:56 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:

>> Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!
>
> You would make Davros proud.

I am of that age. :)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 3 Jul 2017 12:30:00
Message: <web.595a7017992dfbe2883fb31c0@news.povray.org>

> As guessed by Stephen, that would be the source package, which you
> /could/ use to compile UberPOV from source codes.
>
> [snip]
>
> https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV/releases
>
> There, for each such well-defined version you'll again find at least the
> corresponding source code package (in both zip and tar.gz format), but
> usually also pre-built Windows binaries.

Excellent! Thanks (and to Stephen and Green as well.) Yeah, the Github way of
doing things seems a bit odd and convoluted. Well, at least to me...

SO... to help others... the Windows binary download (I happen to have chosen the
64-bit version) is only a single file called   Uberpov64  and is meant to
(temporarily) replace v3.70's  'pvengine'  file, in POV-Ray's "bin" directory--
identical to how the various 3.71 ALPHA releases were installed.

Once I install it there and see the results, I might even try to do likewise in
one of the latest 3.71 'beta' releases-- just to see what happens ;-)  If there
is a tremendous explosion on the East Coast of the U.S., you'll know the source,
ha!