POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : grouping objects for transforms Server Time
28 Mar 2024 11:10:30 EDT (-0400)
  grouping objects for transforms (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Klewlis
Subject: grouping objects for transforms
Date: 5 Feb 2017 09:20:01
Message: <web.5897336bee778495f9209890@news.povray.org>
For my animation, I want to place several objects in my scene individually,
group them somehow and perform transform operations on the entire group.
#declare groups the objects, but then I have to insert all objects as one unit.
Is there a way to create a group as you place the items in one at a time?

Something like:

#group {eastwall}

object { LongPlate
    rotate z*90
    rotate y*90
    rotate x*-90 }

object { LongPlate
    rotate z*90
    rotate y*90
    translate z*94.125
    rotate x*-90 }

object { ShortPlate
    rotate z*90
    rotate y*90
    translate <3.5, 0, 95.625>
    rotate x*-90 }

#for (i, 1.5, 241.5, 16)
    object {Stud
        rotate z*90
        translate <i, 0, 1.5>
        rotate x*-90 }
#end

#endgroup

translate {eastwall} x*-90

then I would use a clock to place each item individually then transform the
entire group.

Post a reply to this message

> For my animation, I want to place several objects in my scene individually,
> group them somehow and perform transform operations on the entire group.
> #declare groups the objects, but then I have to insert all objects as one unit.
> Is there a way to create a group as you place the items in one at a time?

Nope.

Depending on what exactly you want to do, you might want to try
pre-defining the particular transform, and then applying it to multiple
objects:

    #declare MyTrans = transform {
      rotate x*-90
      scale <2,3,4>
    }

    object { Foo
      transform { MyTrans }
    }

    object { Bar
      transform { MyTrans }
    }

Note however that this probably doesn't give the intended result if one
of the objects is part of a CSG compound that itself is subject to some
transformation.

Post a reply to this message

> For my animation, I want to place several objects in my scene individually,
> group them somehow and perform transform operations on the entire group.
> #declare groups the objects, but then I have to insert all objects as one unit.
> Is there a way to create a group as you place the items in one at a time?
>
> Something like:
>
> #group {eastwall}
>
> object { LongPlate
>      rotate z*90
>      rotate y*90
>      rotate x*-90 }
>
> object { LongPlate
>      rotate z*90
>      rotate y*90
>      translate z*94.125
>      rotate x*-90 }
>
> object { ShortPlate
>      rotate z*90
>      rotate y*90
>      translate <3.5, 0, 95.625>
>      rotate x*-90 }
>
> #for (i, 1.5, 241.5, 16)
>      object {Stud
>          rotate z*90
>          translate <i, 0, 1.5>
>          rotate x*-90 }
> #end
>
> #endgroup
>
> translate {eastwall} x*-90
>
> then I would use a clock to place each item individually then transform the
> entire group.

Use union 2.2.3.2 CSG Union

union{		 // Start of union

 > object { LongPlate