POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Frames in animation sequence take successively longer to render Server Time
19 May 2024 09:50:02 EDT (-0400)
  Frames in animation sequence take successively longer to render (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: White Ryder
Subject: Frames in animation sequence take successively longer to render
Date: 22 Feb 2006 17:45:00
Message: <web.43fce6995f972968fc5d75160@news.povray.org>
I'm rendering a sequence of frames in which certain objects in the scene
rotate, but most of the scene stays the same from frame to frame.

I just happened to be looking at the Messages window during the rendering,
and noticed that each frame seems to take longer than the last to render.
E.g. the first frame took 15 minutes, the next took 17, and so on until
8 or 9 frames later it was taking 28 minutes.

This would be understandable to me if the scene were changing in complexity
from one frame to the next, but as far as I can tell it is equally complex
in each frame.

Has anyone noticed this phenomenon before?  I saw there was a thread earlier
this month asking about increasing amounts of RAM being used in each frame;
it's possible the two issues are related (I haven't been watching the RAM
usage).  However, I'm using v3.6, not v3.5.

[Warning: slight digression follows]  It reminds me of the time I did an
"animation" to test the various radiosity presets.  I set up a fixed scene
(i.e. didn't use clock anywhere) and set the Radiosity_Settings value to
frame_number.  Then I started up a 10-frame "animation" and left the
computer for a few hours while it cranked through them.  Except I didn't
want it to do the REALLY slow settings such as Final or OutdoorHQ, so I
put in a little if/then that set the Radiosity_Settings to 0 (i.e. Default)
for both of those.  Much to my surprise, the first time it ran with Default
it took four hours to render, but later when it ran with Default again it
took less than 1/2 an hour.  Same scene, same radiosity preset, 8x diff
in rendering time.  Never did figure that one out!

But anyway, back to my question:  Does anyone know of anything that POV-Ray
does while rendering an animation sequence that would explain why very
similar frames would take successively longer to render?

Thanks,
wr.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm rendering a sequence of frames in which certain objects in the scene
> rotate, but most of the scene stays the same from frame to frame.

If AA is being used there's a chance that could influence render time by an
observable amount, also such things as refraction and reflection might make
a significant change.

> I just happened to be looking at the Messages window during the rendering,
> and noticed that each frame seems to take longer than the last to render.
> E.g. the first frame took 15 minutes, the next took 17, and so on until
> 8 or 9 frames later it was taking 28 minutes.
>
> This would be understandable to me if the scene were changing in
> complexity
> from one frame to the next, but as far as I can tell it is equally complex
> in each frame.

Even so, as I said at first, there could be a possibility of AA and other
factors causing a difference in render times as the objects move. Of course,
I'm mostly guessing at this.

> Has anyone noticed this phenomenon before?  I saw there was a thread
> earlier
> this month asking about increasing amounts of RAM being used in each
> frame;
> it's possible the two issues are related (I haven't been watching the RAM
> usage).  However, I'm using v3.6, not v3.5.

There's more than one version 3.6 so that could be a factor somehow. Latest
is 3.6.1b, with 1a before that, and again 3.6.0 before that. Can't recall
how many were actually released to the public.

> 8<---snip---8< the first time it ran with Default (radiosity)
> it took four hours to render, but later when it ran with Default again it
> took less than 1/2 an hour.

That's a big difference. I'd say background processes running at the same
time during part of it could possibly explain it, if not POV itself doing
something to slow it down or speed it up.

> Does anyone know of anything that POV-Ray
> does while rendering an animation sequence that would explain why very
> similar frames would take successively longer to render?

I know this has been a subject of discussion in the past, unfortunately I
don't remember anything concrete about it. I also searched (only this
newsgroup) for something similar, although I didn't find anything to point
you to. I can vaguely recall something about loading of image maps or maybe
a writing of temporary files being an issue with rendering in succession,
I'm just not absolutely positive about anything so I'll leave this to others
to talk about.

Be sure to check your version there, anyhow, in the Help|About or when first
starting POV. More often than not it helps everyone else to know precisely
which you're using.

Bob H

Post a reply to this message