POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Render time consideration Server Time
2 Jun 2024 10:54:14 EDT (-0400)
  Render time consideration (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: benahpets
Subject: Render time consideration
Date: 20 Sep 2005 04:55:00
Message: <web.432fcd6d4d113789a14d5b880@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm rendering a 30 second animation (640*480) and i've some problems with
the render time (30 minute per frame). My anim uses a detailed model of a
car (the files describing the geometry weigh more than 150 Mo). Is POV Ray
keeping the geometry in memory between frames or (as i think it) the whole
files are parsed again for every frame. Is there a solution for this
problem?? I already use my own application to distribute rendering over a
network... Seems like the only solution i have is to increase the number of
render devices

Regards,

ben

Post a reply to this message

>I'm rendering a 30 second animation (640*480) and i've some problems with
>the render time (30 minute per frame). My anim uses a detailed model of a
>car (the files describing the geometry weigh more than 150 Mo). Is POV Ray
>keeping the geometry in memory between frames or (as i think it) the whole
>files are parsed again for every frame. Is there a solution for this
>problem?? I already use my own application to distribute rendering over a
>network... Seems like the only solution i have is to increase the number of
>render devices

POV is re-parsing the whole thing for each frame.

There seems to be some confusion in your post about whether the problem
is with the parse time or the render time. Look at the stats to see if
parsing or rendering is taking too long, and change your code to improve
the efficiency in that area.

Also check to see if you are running short of memory. 150Mb of geometry
data is going to expand into a huge amount of parsed geometry. Once POV
requires so much memory that the system starts shuffling virtual memory,
the render times go through the roof.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure