POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Codecs Server Time
26 Jun 2024 14:32:13 EDT (-0400)
  Codecs (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Andrew Coppin
Subject: Codecs
Date: 7 Oct 2003 16:42:58
Message: <3f832552$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so a number of people have advised me to use DivX instead of any of the
other various AVI codecs I have... I would just like to say that I have now
tried this, and it appears that for the most part, DivX gives lower quality
with larger filesizes when compared to MPEG-1. (I'm sure someone's going to
come and tell me I've got it all wrong, but that's what I found.)

Of course, DivX has that many parameters you can adjust, it's hard to tell
what's going on... (Not like it tells you what any of it means or anything!)
But anyway, initially the results were aweful. Then I tried turning up the
maximum bitrate, and the quality improved. After a while though, turning it
up made no further difference - either to the quality or the filesize. I
suppose you have to do something to the other parameters or some such...

Then again, TMPGEnc has more parameters that you can shake a wet fish at!
But anyway...

Also, a lot of folks have said something about "MPEG-4 codecs"... Where the
heck do you find one of those? (Bearing in mind that I have no idea how the
codecs I *do* have got onto my system...)

Thanks.
Andrew.

Post a reply to this message

Andrew Coppin <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:
> OK, so a number of people have advised me to use DivX instead of any of the
> other various AVI codecs I have... I would just like to say that I have now
> tried this, and it appears that for the most part, DivX gives lower quality
> with larger filesizes when compared to MPEG-1. (I'm sure someone's going to
> come and tell me I've got it all wrong, but that's what I found.)

  Then all those people sharing videos in the net should promptly switch
to MPEG-1 instead of DivX... ;)

  Do you really think they are not using MPEG-1 for a good reason?-)

  DivX is one. You can also try Xvid (http://www.xvid.org/)