POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Codecs : Re: Codecs Server Time
29 Jun 2024 07:45:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Codecs
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 8 Oct 2003 11:14:19
Message: <3f8429cb@news.povray.org>
In article <3f832552$1@news.povray.org> , "Andrew Coppin"
<orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:

> OK, so a number of people have advised me to use DivX instead of any of the
> other various AVI codecs I have... I would just like to say that I have now
> tried this, and it appears that for the most part, DivX gives lower quality
> with larger filesizes when compared to MPEG-1. (I'm sure someone's going to
> come and tell me I've got it all wrong, but that's what I found.)

Most likely there is a problem with the source material you have then.  It
could simply be unsuitable for modern compression algorithms.  I have
created a page that demonstrates this very well:

<http://mac.povray.org/support/video/>

NOTE: It will take at least another hour *after* I made this post to upload
all files to povray.org as I only have a ADSL connection with a 16 KByte/s
(128 KBit/s) upstream and some of the files are rather huge.  So please
don't tell me that some files are corrupted within the next two or so hours
- they simply didn't arrive on the server yet! :-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde