POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Render speed decay: 7 s to 7 m Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:28:55 EDT (-0400)
  Render speed decay: 7 s to 7 m (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Render speed decay: 7 s to 7 m
Date: 13 Aug 1999 07:59:00
Message: <37B407F0.50B0C6C9@geocities.com>
Has the cause of render speed decay been identified as having your
preview window open?  In Win98, will closing it solve the problem?

I have an animation of 375 frames.   I am reading an INC file with 375 *
50 * 6 numbers, which are the positions and velocities of 50 actors.
There are 1200 objects in the scene (50 actors' last 24 positions).  I
left it render last night.  When I got to it this morning, on about the
75th frame, it was taking  7 minutes per frame to render!  I stopped it
and started it again at the same frame: 7 second renders.  It did 100
frames before I realised we had no milk in the house for breakfast!

BTW, the parsing time was insignificantly different: constantly around 4
seconds, due to my use of an INC file instead of recalculating the whole
matrix for each frame. Thanks to John vS for tips...

Post a reply to this message

I think that the speed decay is because povray gets tired.

I've recently rendered a 342 frame animation of my Disco ball
with photons.  I used -D (display off), but still got the speed
decay that you talk about, and found the only solution was to
keep stopping it and running subsets.

--
Cheers
Steve

%HAV-A-NICEDAY Error reading file mailto:sjl### [at] ndirectcouk

Post a reply to this message

This might have something to do with memory usage. I recently ran
a 100 frame animation of a rotating planet using a detailed image on
the surface. The render speed decay was *bad* and the program
exited after 22 frames. The memory recovery time lasted almost
1 minute. If I had my old system, I might understand, but I run
128 meg ram. Possibly the program does not reclaim memory after
each frame.

"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> Has the cause of render speed decay been identified as having your
> preview window open?  In Win98, will closing it solve the problem?
>
> I have an animation of 375 frames.   I am reading an INC file with 375 *
> 50 * 6 numbers, which are the positions and velocities of 50 actors.
> There are 1200 objects in the scene (50 actors' last 24 positions).  I
> left it render last night.  When I got to it this morning, on about the
> 75th frame, it was taking  7 minutes per frame to render!  I stopped it
> and started it again at the same frame: 7 second renders.  It did 100
> frames before I realised we had no milk in the house for breakfast!
>
> BTW, the parsing time was insignificantly different: constantly around 4
> seconds, due to my use of an INC file instead of recalculating the whole
> matrix for each frame. Thanks to John vS for tips...

Post a reply to this message

I have the same problem. when i run test whith +kx i get round one minute
for parsing,
and one minute to render. but in the animation, the higher the frame the
longer it took
for the SAME pic.

agree.
Any help? are we doing something wrong?, Have anybody tried to test it wiht
pov for
Linux?