POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Rotating a point Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:55 EDT (-0400)
  Rotating a point (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Reuven Weiser
Subject: Rotating a point
Date: 14 Jan 1999 08:34:37
Message: <369DF30F.24BB@aol.com>
This isn't necessarily an animation specific question, but it came up in the context
of an animation, so I
figured I'd post it here. Is there anyway to rotate a point? In case that's not clear:
I know I can rotate a
point by saying:
	#declare POINT = <1,4,5>
	#declare POINT = POINT + <clock, clock*2, clock*3>
or something like that. Is there any way to do a similar thing with rotation?
Thank you.

Reuven Weiser

P.S. In case you're interested in the specific context and can come up with an
alternate solution - I'm making
an animation of a juggler. I first modeled the flight and pattern of the (7) balls. I
then modeled the hands
and forearms to follow the balls. This involved translation and rotation. Now I need
to do the upper arms (as
cones) keeping one point as the shoulder and transforming/rotating the other end to
attach it to the end of
the forearm, forming the elbow. If you can think of anything, please let me know.
Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

Reuven Weiser schrieb in Nachricht <369### [at] aolcom>...
>This isn't necessarily an animation specific question, but it came up in
the context of an animation, so I
>figured I'd post it here. Is there anyway to rotate a point? In case that's
not clear: I know I can rotate a
>point by saying:
> #declare POINT = <1,4,5>
> #declare POINT = POINT + <clock, clock*2, clock*3>
>or something like that. Is there any way to do a similar thing with
rotation?
>Thank you.
>
>Reuven Weiser

I may be missing your point completely, but have you ever heard of the
functions in POV-Ray? There are two vector functions, called vrotate and
vaxis_rotate. These seem to do what you want. Or do you mean something
completely different?

--
Rudy Velthuis

Post a reply to this message