POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Flocking Animations Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  Flocking Animations (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: me
Subject: Flocking Animations
Date: 3 Oct 1998 17:05:08
Message: <36168374.0@news.povray.org>
Does anybody have any idea how to do a 'flocking' animation (like a flock of
birds, or a bunch of ants [antz])

I think that PoV is advanced enough to do it, but I haven't really started
trying yet, so if anybody has any ideas (or examples)  I would really
appreciate it!

TIA!

Post a reply to this message

>Does anybody have any idea how to do a 'flocking' animation (like a flock
of
>birds, or a bunch of ants [antz])
>
>I think that PoV is advanced enough to do it, but I haven't really started
>trying yet, so if anybody has any ideas (or examples)  I would really
>appreciate it!
>

>TIA!

sorry about my clock being messed up.  If you have filters in place so that
you never see old messages, just thank me and nod your head.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 4 Oct 1998 15:28:33
Message: <3617BFC0.AE4702B5@geocities.com>
me wrote:

> Does anybody have any idea how to do a 'flocking' animation (like a flock of
> birds, or a bunch of ants [antz])
>
> I think that PoV is advanced enough to do it, but I haven't really started
> trying yet, so if anybody has any ideas (or examples)  I would really
> appreciate it!
>
> TIA!

Try

http://dir.yahoo.com/Science/Artificial_Life/Flocking/

And specifically http://hmt.com/cwr/boids.html
The latter is the Boids info by Craig Reynolds. Really good stuff.

Post a reply to this message

From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 5 Oct 1998 18:19:07
Message: <36193880.6EB78AA4@aol.com>
Boids made my cry (Stella and Stanley) when I saw it on Mind's Eye !  Thanks for
the link! Now, I'm dying to try an animation of my own!

In thinking about how to undertake such a project, I guess that one would need to
have information processed in one frame to be available in the next frame.   Most
of the algorithms talk about each individual's properties being a moving average
of those of the collective.

I know that Povray 3.1 has the ability to write and read files.  Is there any way
for 3.02 to have a variable declaration made in one frame available to the next
frame?

Jon A. Cruz wrote:

> Try
>
> http://dir.yahoo.com/Science/Artificial_Life/Flocking/
>
> And specifically http://hmt.com/cwr/boids.html
> The latter is the Boids info by Craig Reynolds. Really good stuff.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (1 KB)

From: Scott Hill
Date: 6 Oct 1998 07:32:31
Message: <01bdf10e$0b4be000$8c00a8c0@shindo>
Jon A. Cruz <jon### [at] geocitiescom> wrote in article
<3617BFC0.AE4702B5@geocities.com>...
> me wrote:
> >
> > Does anybody have any idea how to do a 'flocking' animation (like a
flock of
> > birds, or a bunch of ants [antz])
> >
> > I think that PoV is advanced enough to do it, but I haven't really
started
> > trying yet, so if anybody has any ideas (or examples)  I would really
> > appreciate it!
> >
> > TIA!
>
> Try
>
> http://dir.yahoo.com/Science/Artificial_Life/Flocking/
>
> And specifically http://hmt.com/cwr/boids.html
> The latter is the Boids info by Craig Reynolds. Really good stuff.

'me',

	You'll probably want to look at
http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~dt/siggraph97-course/cwr87/ and
http://hmt.com/cwr/nobump/nobump.html (Both by Craig Reynolds). BTW. I've
been thinking about writing a simple boids POV 3.1 include file, if I get
it done would you be interested in a copy ?

--
Scott Hill
Sco### [at] DDLinkscouk

"The best trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didn't
exist..."
								- Verbal Kint.

"the Internet is here so we can waste time talking about nothing in
 particular when we should be working" - Marcus Hill.

Post a reply to this message

From: jim
Date: 25 Nov 1998 12:46:20
Message: <365C42EC.AC528D80@canuck.com>
Would we be interested?  What kind of question is that?  :-)

From: Scott Hill
Date: 5 Feb 1999 04:47:58
Message: <01be5064$0a279330$8c00a8c0@shindo>
jim <jim### [at] canuckcom> wrote in article <365C42EC.AC528D80@canuck.com>...
> Would we be interested?  What kind of question is that?  :-)
>
> Scott Hill wrote:
>
> > I've been thinking about writing a simple boids POV 3.1 include file,
if I get
> > it done would you be interested in a copy ?

	'Fraid my boids include has been put on hold - so I can spend more time
developing Pandora's Box (and having a life).

--
Scott Hill : Sco### [at] DDLinkscouk
Software Engineer (and all round nice guy)
Author of Pandora's Box : Watch this space.
Work homepage : http://www.ddlinks.demon.co.uk

"We will decide what the news is. The news is what we tell you it is." -
The Fox TV network.