POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : glowing effect Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:33:36 EDT (-0400)
  glowing effect (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Woody
Subject: glowing effect
Date: 19 Nov 2007 07:10:00
Message: <web.47417cd68a5f5e61c3e1d1b80@news.povray.org>
can someone tell me how I might be able to achieve some type of glowing effect
for a given object?

I try rendering a sphere

sphere { 0, 1.5 pigment { Red  filter 1} finish{specular 1 brilliance 0 diffuse
0}}

I like that the object seems to be glowing while keeping its shape

and achieve the type of effect I'm looking for. However if I try the same
settings against a box, say

box { -1, 1 pigment { Red  filter 1} finish{specular 1 brilliance 0 diffuse 0}}

I don't seem to be getting the same effect. i'd also like the cnter to be more
red than white.

Ultimatley,

I would like to apply this to a mesh2 object defined as a solid using the inside
vector.

any advice how I might achieve the desired effect?

Post a reply to this message

> can someone tell me how I might be able to achieve some type of glowing effect
> for a given object?

I forgot to add that these will be in a scene with "non-glowing" objects so I'm
not sure if atmospheric/lens effects will work.

Post a reply to this message

Woody nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/19 07:08:
> can someone tell me how I might be able to achieve some type of glowing effect
> for a given object?
>
> I try rendering a sphere
>
> sphere { 0, 1.5 pigment { Red  filter 1} finish{specular 1 brilliance 0 diffuse
> 0}}
>
> I like that the object seems to be glowing while keeping its shape
>
> and achieve the type of effect I'm looking for. However if I try the same
> settings against a box, say
>
> box { -1, 1 pigment { Red  filter 1} finish{specular 1 brilliance 0 diffuse 0}}
>
> I don't seem to be getting the same effect. i'd also like the cnter to be more
> red than white.
>

> Ultimatley,
>
> I would like to apply this to a mesh2 object defined as a solid using the inside
> vector.
>
> any advice how I might achieve the desired effect?

If you add "ambient 1" in the finish, the object will become luminous. About any
ambient value larger than zero will make the object glow somewhat.
If you want the object to glow from it's "inside", then you can fill it with
some emissive media. You will need to add "hollow" to permit the object to
contain the media. This is the only purpose of the hollow keyword.

If you want the object to be surounded by a glowing haze, you place a larger
copy of the object arount it. That oustide object will have:
texture{pigment{rgbt 1}finish{ambient 0 diffuse 0}}
and an interior filled with emissive media. That media will probably need a high
emission value, as it will not be very thick.

The object will not shed any light on it's surounding unless you use radiosity.

--
Alain
Caught Asleep At Your Work Desk

Just in case your boss catches you asleep at your desk, be ready to blurt out
this excuse #1:  I was working smarter - not harder.

Post a reply to this message

From: Woody
Date: 19 Nov 2007 16:45:00
Message: <web.474203aea720d5c3f0eee6350@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

> If you add "ambient 1" in the finish, the object will become luminous. About any
> ambient value larger than zero will make the object glow somewhat.
> If you want the object to glow from it's "inside", then you can fill it with
> some emissive media. You will need to add "hollow" to permit the object to
> contain the media. This is the only purpose of the hollow keyword.
>
> If you want the object to be surounded by a glowing haze, you place a larger
> copy of the object arount it. That oustide object will have:
> texture{pigment{rgbt 1}finish{ambient 0 diffuse 0}}
> and an interior filled with emissive media. That media will probably need a high
> emission value, as it will not be very thick.
>
> The object will not shed any light on it's surounding unless you use radiosity.

Thanks !