POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : bigPatch update Server Time
29 Apr 2024 05:52:55 EDT (-0400)
  bigPatch update (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Will W
Subject: bigPatch update
Date: 29 Mar 2003 18:08:43
Message: <3e86277b@news.povray.org>
The revised code for bigPatch is now available at
http://will.thornhenge.net/bigpatch/index.html New in this version are fixes
to the control hull code and corrections of a couple of problems with
incorrect orientations. A last minute repair error prevented the earlier
code from working properly in many situations; this has been fixed, too.

The only remaining problem I am aware of at this moment is that uv_mapping
is not as well controlled as I'd like it to be. That is, I've got it
working, but I would like to be able to fine tune the image map to the
contours of the mesh-- is there a way to do this? You can see the problem on
the example images at the web site.

I think I've made the licensing more clear-- that bigPatch is to be free for
individual use, including modifications and extensions, but is not public
domain. I've read the discussion about licensing issues that happened last
autumn (thanks for the pointer to those, Tor) and I think what I now have
would satisfy the objections I saw in that thread. I'm open to more
discussion on this if need be.

Please take a look and give me your feedback. Especially about the
uv_mapping stuff.

TIA,
Will
--
Will Woodhull
Thornhenge, SW Oregon, USA

Post a reply to this message

"Will W" <wil### [at] NOSPAMwizzardsnet> wrote in

> The only remaining problem I am aware of at this moment is that
> uv_mapping is not as well controlled as I'd like it to be. That is,
> I've got it working, but I would like to be able to fine tune the
> image map to the contours of the mesh-- is there a way to do this? You
> can see the problem on the example images at the web site.
>
> I think I've made the licensing more clear-- that bigPatch is to be
> free for individual use, including modifications and extensions, but
> is not public domain. I've read the discussion about licensing issues
> that happened last autumn (thanks for the pointer to those, Tor) and I
> think what I now have would satisfy the objections I saw in that
> thread. I'm open to more discussion on this if need be.
>
> Please take a look and give me your feedback. Especially about the
> uv_mapping stuff.

OK, I have some further comments for you...

The first one is about the same two lines that I
commented on earlier:

#local dX = (toPt.x-fromPt.x)/Cols;
#local dZ = (toPt.z-fromPt.z)/Rows;

Remember that when you have N on a line, then there
are only N - 1 intervals between them.

So the resulting patch will be more "correct" if you
change these lines to:

#local dX = (toPt.x - fromPt.x)/(Cols - 1);
#local dZ = (toPt.z - fromPt.z)/(Rows - 1);

You will see the effect from this better if you
temporarily remove your clipped_by statemnt and add
a colored sphere at each of the four corners of the
patch. The pacth will now have an equally wide flat
"border" at all the edges.

The next one is about this uv vectors statement:

uv_vectors <(C-dX)/Cols,(R-dZ)/Rows>

Here you have <Columns, Rows> while you have
[Rows][Columns] when indexing your array:

A[R][C][Y]

This looks a little bit odd to me, and I'm not sure
if the result is what the user expects. (But I might
be wrong here.)

And another comment is about your intensive use of
array lookups. This can be a very time consuming
task for POV-Ray to do, so often it is better to
look up a value once and put it in a 'plain' variable
for later use.

My last comment (for now) is about repeating calcu-
lations that POV-Ray has already done earlier.

Have a look at the code below code. (It does the same
as yours but calculates iX + dX*C and iZ + dZ*R only
once in each loop instead of 16 times.)

// This first line should be placed outside the loops
#local vXYZ = <dX, dY, dZ>;
.
<snip>
.
  bicubic_patch {
    type 1  flatness 0 u_steps 3 v_steps 3
.
<snip>
.
    <0.0, A[R  ][C  ][Y]                 , 0.0>*vXYZ
    <0.5, A[R  ][C  ][Y] + A[R  ][C  ][X], 0.0>*vXYZ
.
<snip>
.
    <0.5, A[R+1][C+1][Y] - A[R+1][C+1][X], 1.0>*vXYZ
    <1.0, A[R+1][C+1][Y]                 , 1.0>*vXYZ
    translate <iX + dX*C, 0, iZ + dZ*R>
  }

Tor Olav

Post a reply to this message

Tor Olav Kristensen <tor_olav_kCURLYAhotmail.com> wrote in
news:Xns### [at] 204213191226:

> Remember that when you have N on a line, then there
> are only N - 1 intervals between them.

Err... of course I meant this:

Remember that when you have N points on a line, then
there are only N - 1 intervals between them.

Tor Olav

Post a reply to this message

> The first one is about the same two lines that I
> commented on earlier:
>
> #local dX = (toPt.x-fromPt.x)/Cols;
> #local dZ = (toPt.z-fromPt.z)/Rows;
>
> Remember that when you have N on a line, then there
> are only N - 1 intervals between them.
>
> So the resulting patch will be more "correct" if you
> change these lines to:
>
> #local dX = (toPt.x - fromPt.x)/(Cols - 1);
> #local dZ = (toPt.z - fromPt.z)/(Rows - 1);

I'll take another look at this. This is exactly the kind of feedback I
need-- another pair of eyes can immediately see goofs that my preconceptions
blind me to.

> You will see the effect from this better if you
> temporarily remove your clipped_by statemnt and add
> a colored sphere at each of the four corners of the
> patch. The pacth will now have an equally wide flat
> "border" at all the edges.

I've found marker spheres useful in developing this macro. But I don't
understand what you trying to tell me. I'll do the exercise, maybe your
point will become clear then.

> The next one is about this uv vectors statement:
>
> uv_vectors <(C-dX)/Cols,(R-dZ)/Rows>
>
> Here you have <Columns, Rows> while you have
> [Rows][Columns] when indexing your array:
>
> A[R][C][Y]

It is a bit odd, but I'm pretty sure that is right. I want the initial data
array to be intuitively obvious to the user, which means defining it as
Array[Row][Col]. This is imposed upon me by the way the array initializer in
POV works-- I really wanted to define the arrays as Array[Col][Row], which
is consistent with my spreadsheet experience, and with the cartesian
coordinate system used in POV's vectors. But I couldn't do that if I want
users to be able to cut and paste array content into an array initializer.

What's important is that the Cols and the x-coordinates and the Rows and
z-coordinates match up. (or in this case, Cols match with u and Rows match
with v). But it does end up looking strange.

> This looks a little bit odd to me, and I'm not sure
> if the result is what the user expects. (But I might
> be wrong here.)
>

> And another comment is about your intensive use of
> array lookups. This can be a very time consuming
> task for POV-Ray to do, so often it is better to
> look up a value once and put it in a 'plain' variable
> for later use.

True. There's a huge amount of room for performance optimization since this
was written to optimize human readability (and thus debugging).

> My last comment (for now) is about repeating calcu-
> lations that POV-Ray has already done earlier.
>
> Have a look at the code below code. (It does the same
> as yours but calculates iX + dX*C and iZ + dZ*R only
> once in each loop instead of 16 times.)

Again true. This is also to some degree an artifact of production, since it
let me easily play around with changing the points' offsets.

Thanks very much for your help with this, Tor.

Post a reply to this message

Tor Olav Kristensen <tor_olav_kCURLYAhotmail.com> wrote in
news:Xns### [at] 204213191226:

> Have a look at the code below code. (It does the same
> as yours but calculates iX + dX*C and iZ + dZ*R only
> once in each loop instead of 16 times.)
>

> // This first line should be placed outside the loops
> #local vXYZ = <dX, dY, dZ>;
> .
> <snip>
> .
>   bicubic_patch {
>     type 1  flatness 0 u_steps 3 v_steps 3
> .
> <snip>
> .
>     <0.0, A[R  ][C  ][Y]                 , 0.0>*vXYZ
>     <0.5, A[R  ][C  ][Y] + A[R  ][C  ][X], 0.0>*vXYZ
> .
> <snip>
> .
>     <0.5, A[R+1][C+1][Y] - A[R+1][C+1][X], 1.0>*vXYZ
>     <1.0, A[R+1][C+1][Y]                 , 1.0>*vXYZ
>     translate <iX + dX*C, 0, iZ + dZ*R>
>   }

I forgot to mention that you can probably move the
vXYZ vector into a scale statement at the end to save
further calculations. Like this:

  bicubic_patch {
    type 1  flatness 0 u_steps 3 v_steps 3
.
<snip>
.
    <0.0, A[R  ][C  ][Y]                 , 0.0>
    <0.5, A[R  ][C  ][Y] + A[R  ][C  ][X], 0.0>
.
<snip>
.
    <0.5, A[R+1][C+1][Y] - A[R+1][C+1][X], 1.0>
    <1.0, A[R+1][C+1][Y]                 , 1.0>
    scale vXYZ
    translate <iX + dX*C, 0, iZ + dZ*R>
  }

Tor Olav