POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : bigPatch update : Re: bigPatch update Server Time
15 May 2024 22:10:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bigPatch update
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 31 Mar 2003 17:24:27
Message: <Xns9350467131FDtorolavkhotmailcom@204.213.191.226>
"Will W" <wil### [at] NOSPAMwizzardsnet> wrote in

>> Why don't you just scale down the pigment that
>> is going to be used in the mapping (prior to
>> the mapping).
>>
>> E.g.:
>> If it is an image map, then you first translate
>> the image map pigment so that it is centered at
>> the origin, scale it and then translate it back.
>
> For a one-shot, that would be acceptable to me. For a tool that I want
> to use over and over again, and share with others, it is not. Either
> the macro handles uv_mapping in the normally expected way, or it gets
> an attached disclaimer that says uv_mapping is only supported to a
> limited degree.

OK, but you could have let a macro do the necessary adjustments
to the pigment.

An alternative is to change your uv_vectors to this:

<C-1, R-1>/<Cols-1, Rows-1>,
<C  , R-1>/<Cols-1, Rows-1>,
<C  , R  >/<Cols-1, Rows-1>,
<C-1, R  >/<Cols-1, Rows-1>

To see the effect, uncomment your clipped_by statement, and use
these statements:

union {
  sphere { <-5, -0, -5>, 0.1 }
  sphere { < 5, -0, -5>, 0.1 }
  sphere { < 5, -0,  5>, 0.1 }
  sphere { <-5, -0,  5>, 0.1 }
  pigment { color rgb <2, 2, 2> }
}

light_source { <-1, 2, -2>*100 rgb <1, 1, 1> }

background { color blue 1 }

camera {
  orthographic
  location 12*y
  look_at 0*y
}

object {
  bigPatch(<-5, 0, -5>,<5, 0.02, 5>, PiThing)
  texture {
    uv_mapping
    pigment {
      object {