POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : D65 spectral locus Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:03:31 EDT (-0400)
  D65 spectral locus (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: D65 spectral locus
Date: 16 Mar 2017 11:49:24
Message: <58cab404$1@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to use this formula to plot the visible gamut in XYZ space.

http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index.html?Eqn_Spect_to_XYZ.html

Here is my code:

	#local xSum = 0;
	#local ySum = 0;
	#local zSum = 0;
	#local nSum = 0;
	#for (i, 0, 89)
		#local nSum = nSum + (xyz_table[i].y * D65_table[i]);
	#end
	#for (i, 0, 89)
		#local xSum = 1/nSum * (xSum + xyz_table[i].x * 1 * D65_table[i]);
		#for (j, 0, 89)
			#local ySum = 1/nSum * (ySum + xyz_table[j].y * 1 * D65_table[j]);
			#for (k, 0, 89)
				#local zSum = 1/nSum * (zSum + xyz_table[k].z * 1 * D65_table[k]);
				sphere
				{
					<xSum, ySum, zSum> * 10, 0.005
					pigment {color rgb x}
				}
			#end
		#end
	#end

However, the resulting shape is box-shaped instead of cone-shaped. Am I
approaching things in the right way?

Mike

Post a reply to this message

On 3/16/2017 11:49 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> I'm trying to use this formula to plot the visible gamut in XYZ space.
>
> http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index.html?Eqn_Spect_to_XYZ.html
>
> Here is my code:
>
>     #local xSum = 0;
>     #local ySum = 0;
>     #local zSum = 0;
>     #local nSum = 0;
>     #for (i, 0, 89)
>         #local nSum = nSum + (xyz_table[i].y * D65_table[i]);
>     #end
>     #for (i, 0, 89)
>         #local xSum = 1/nSum * (xSum + xyz_table[i].x * 1 * D65_table[i]);
>         #for (j, 0, 89)
>             #local ySum = 1/nSum * (ySum + xyz_table[j].y * 1 *
> D65_table[j]);
>             #for (k, 0, 89)
>                 #local zSum = 1/nSum * (zSum + xyz_table[k].z * 1 *
> D65_table[k]);
>                 sphere
>                 {
>                     <xSum, ySum, zSum> * 10, 0.005
>                     pigment {color rgb x}
>                 }
>             #end
>         #end
>     #end
>
> However, the resulting shape is box-shaped instead of cone-shaped. Am I
> approaching things in the right way?
>

> Mike

This works a bit better, but is still not right:

	#local nSum = 0;
	#for (i, 0, 89)
		#local nSum = nSum + (xyz_table[i].y * D65_table[i]);
	#end
	#local xSum = 0;
	#for (i, 0, 89)
		#local xSum = xSum + xyz_table[i].x * 1 * D65_table[i];
		#local ySum = 0;
		#for (j, 0, 89)
			#local ySum = ySum + xyz_table[j].y * 1 * D65_table[j];
			#local zSum = 0;
			#for (k, 0, 89)
				#local zSum = zSum + xyz_table[k].z * 1 * D65_table[k];
				#local xyYCoo = 1/nSum * <xSum, ySum, zSum>;
				#local xyYCoo = XYZ2xyY(xyYCoo);
				#local xyYCoo = <xyYCoo.x,xyYCoo.z,xyYCoo.y>;
				sphere
				{
					xyYCoo, 1/80
					pigment {color rgb x}
				}
			#end
		#end
	#end

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Am 16.03.2017 um 17:36 schrieb Mike Horvath:

> This works a bit better, but is still not right:
>
>     #local nSum = 0;
>     #for (i, 0, 89)
>         #local nSum = nSum + (xyz_table[i].y * D65_table[i]);
>     #end
>     #local xSum = 0;
>     #for (i, 0, 89)
>         #local xSum = xSum + xyz_table[i].x * 1 * D65_table[i];
>         #local ySum = 0;
>         #for (j, 0, 89)
>             #local ySum = ySum + xyz_table[j].y * 1 * D65_table[j];
>             #local zSum = 0;
>             #for (k, 0, 89)
>                 #local zSum = zSum + xyz_table[k].z * 1 * D65_table[k];
>                 #local xyYCoo = 1/nSum * <xSum, ySum, zSum>;
>                 #local xyYCoo = XYZ2xyY(xyYCoo);
>                 #local xyYCoo = <xyYCoo.x,xyYCoo.z,xyYCoo.y>;
>                 sphere
>                 {
>                     xyYCoo, 1/80
>                     pigment {color rgb x}
>                 }
>             #end
>         #end
>     #end

Sorry, but this is totally bonkers.

The indices into xyz_table are to be interpreted as representing
wavelengths.

So you're varying three wavelength variables independently: For one (i)
you're summing up the x component; for another one (j) you're summing up
the y component; and for yet another one (k) you're summing up the z
component.

What good do you expect this to do?

What you really need is a smart external loop or set of loops that
generates /spectra/, not wavelengths -- and then within that loop insert
a /single/ additional loop that varies a wavelength variable i, summing
up xyz_table[i] * D65_table[i] * spectral_power(i).

Post a reply to this message

> The indices into xyz_table are to be interpreted as representing
> wavelengths.
>
> So you're varying three wavelength variables independently: For one (i)
> you're summing up the x component; for another one (j) you're summing up
> the y component; and for yet another one (k) you're summing up the z
> component.
>
> What good do you expect this to do?
>
> What you really need is a smart external loop or set of loops that
> generates /spectra/, not wavelengths -- and then within that loop insert
> a /single/ additional loop that varies a wavelength variable i, summing
> up xyz_table[i] * D65_table[i] * spectral_power(i).

Yes, how do I come up with these /spectra/? I don't have a
spectral_power(i) and it is not mentioned in the equations I am trying
to follow here: