POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : D65 spectral locus : Re: D65 spectral locus Server Time
24 Apr 2024 21:01:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: D65 spectral locus
From: clipka
Date: 19 Mar 2017 17:49:28
Message: <58cefce8$1@news.povray.org>
Am 18.03.2017 um 23:08 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 3/18/2017 4:36 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> On 3/17/2017 4:49 AM, clipka wrote:
>>> There. Now you know the common property of all reflection spectra that
>>> map to the surface of the shape you're after. I hope this helps you
>>> devise an algorithm to compute them in a systematic fashion.
>>>

>> I was able to get some coding help from Bruce Lindbloom to generate the
>> XYZ coordinates. So, I have points and I have colors. But I do not have
>> a mesh. Do you have any tips on generating the mesh? Did you use one
>> color for each triangle, or did you create some sort of gradient?

I created and linked the points according to the following scheme:

    .###.... -- ..###... -- ...###.. -- ....###.
         \        /  \        /  \        /
          \      /    \      /    \      /
           \    /      \    /      \    /
            \  /        \  /        \  /
          ..##.... -- ...##... -- ....##..
            /  \        /  \        /  \
           /    \      /    \      /    \
          /      \    /      \    /      \
         /        \  /        \  /        \
    ..#..... -- ...#.... -- ....#... -- .....#..

where each `.` represents an interval in the spectrum that's at 0% power
and each `#` represents an interval in the spectrum that's at 100% power.

- On each line from left to right, the "box" spectra have a constant
width, but the starting point and end point shift from blue to red.

- On each line from bottom left to top right, the "box" spectra have a
constant starting point, but their width increases as the end point
shifts from blue to red.

- On each line from top left to bottom right, the "box" spectra have a
constant end point, but their width decreases as the starting point
shifts from blue to red.

Remember to define a point where your spectrum wraps around from red to
blue. The "mod" function helps a lot with that.

> Also, is the shape stacked like a wedding cake? Are there the same
> number of sections in each layer?

The layers shown as horizontal lines in the diagram above will /not/ be
perfectly horizontal in the colour space, due to the varying brightness
associated with each wavelength interval; but each layer will have the
same number of points.