POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to make my own 3D pigment? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 18:30:16 EDT (-0400)
  How to make my own 3D pigment? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Lars R
Subject: How to make my own 3D pigment?
Date: 22 Jun 2011 10:13:46
Message: <4e01f89a$1@news.povray.org>
I want to render objects having a self-made 3D pigment that is defined
via 3 user-defined functions (one for red, one for green and one for
blue), or via one function that returns an RGB color vector directly

(Or even an 4- or 5-dimensional rgbf, rgbt or rgbft vector)

Is that possible, somehow?

As far as I understand a user-defined pigment functions just returns a
single float that is used as an index in a color_map.

			Lars R.

Post a reply to this message

> I want to render objects having a self-made 3D pigment that is
> defined via 3 user-defined functions (one for red, one for green and
> one for blue), or via one function that returns an RGB color vector
> directly
>
> (Or even an 4- or 5-dimensional rgbf, rgbt or rgbft vector)
>
> Is that possible, somehow?
>

> As far as I understand a user-defined pigment functions just returns
> a single float that is used as an index in a color_map.

  If I understood it correctly, I think the "average" pattern should help
there: create 3 separate pigments for each function, then use a
pigment_map to average them together.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org

Post a reply to this message

>> I want to render objects having a self-made 3D pigment that is
>> defined via 3 user-defined functions (one for red, one for green and
>> one for blue), or via one function that returns an RGB color vector
>> directly
>>
>> (Or even an 4- or 5-dimensional rgbf, rgbt or rgbft vector)
>>
>> Is that possible, somehow?
>>

>> As far as I understand a user-defined pigment functions just returns
>> a single float that is used as an index in a color_map.
>>

> If I understood it correctly, I think the "average" pattern should help
> there: create 3 separate pigments for each function, then use a
> pigment_map to average them together.

If you want to add a filter or transmit component, use your function
this way, after the pigment itself:
filter My_Filter_Function(x,y,z) transmit My_Transmit_Function(x,y,z)

Post a reply to this message

Am 22.06.2011 16:40, schrieb Jaime Vives Piqueres:

>> I want to render objects having a self-made 3D pigment that is
>> defined via 3 user-defined functions (one for red, one for green and
>> one for blue), or via one function that returns an RGB color vector
>> directly
>>
>> (Or even an 4- or 5-dimensional rgbf, rgbt or rgbft vector)
>>
>> Is that possible, somehow?
>>

>> As far as I understand a user-defined pigment functions just returns
>> a single float that is used as an index in a color_map.
>>

> If I understood it correctly, I think the "average" pattern should help
> there: create 3 separate pigments for each function, then use a
> pigment_map to average them together.

Yup, AFAIK that's the only way to do it. For each channel, use a
color_map ranging from "rgbft 0" to "red N" (or "green N", "blue N",
etc., respectively), where N is the number of channels you intend to
mix, e.g. 4 for rgbf. (This is required because what you really want is
a sum, not the average.)

Post a reply to this message

> I want to render objects having a self-made 3D pigment that is defined
> via 3 user-defined functions (one for red, one for green and one for
> blue), or via one function that returns an RGB color vector directly
>
> (Or even an 4- or 5-dimensional rgbf, rgbt or rgbft vector)
>
> Is that possible, somehow?
>

> As far as I understand a user-defined pigment functions just returns a
> single float that is used as an index in a color_map.
>

> 			Lars R.

There are some good examples here:

http://lib.povray.org/searchcollection/index2.php?objectName=ColorSolid&version=1.21&contributorTag=SharkD

Mike