POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Converting pre-gamma scenes to assumed_gamma = 1? Server Time
8 May 2024 06:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  Converting pre-gamma scenes to assumed_gamma = 1? (Message 4 to 13 of 13)
From: SharkD
Subject: Re: Converting pre-gamma scenes to assumed_gamma = 1?
Date: 9 Jun 2010 15:57:18
Message: <4c0ff21e$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/9/2010 7:26 AM, clipka wrote:

> (2) Gamma-adjust all color literals, by raising the R,G,B components to
> the power of 2.2 (or wait for the next beta, and add "gamma 2.2" to the
> color literal). Check your scene for colour values that are computed
> from some other values - you may (or may not) want to gamma-adjust these
> as well.

Are you sure about raising to a power? Old scenes are generally brighter
in 3.7 than they were originally, so wouldn't you want to lower them
instead?

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 9 Jun 2010 17:04:18
Message: <4c1001d2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.06.2010 21:57, schrieb SharkD:
> On 6/9/2010 7:26 AM, clipka wrote:
>>
>> (2) Gamma-adjust all color literals, by raising the R,G,B components to
>> the power of 2.2 (or wait for the next beta, and add "gamma 2.2" to the
>> color literal). Check your scene for colour values that are computed
>> from some other values - you may (or may not) want to gamma-adjust these
>> as well.
>
> Are you sure about raising to a power? Old scenes are generally brighter
> in 3.7 than they were originally, so wouldn't you want to lower them
> instead?

Yes, I am sure; note that raising values between 0.0 and 1.0 to some
power > 1 does actually give you smaller values (e.g. 0.50^2 = 0.25).

Post a reply to this message

The idea already crossed my mind, too - so as I currently don't find the
time myself, by all means go ahead.

Post a reply to this message

>>> (2) Gamma-adjust all color literals, by raising the R,G,B components to
>>> the power of 2.2 (or wait for the next beta, and add "gamma 2.2" to the
>>> color literal). Check your scene for colour values that are computed
>>> from some other values - you may (or may not) want to gamma-adjust these
>>> as well.
>>
>> Are you sure about raising to a power? Old scenes are generally brighter
>> in 3.7 than they were originally, so wouldn't you want to lower them
>> instead?
>
> Yes, I am sure; note that raising values between 0.0 and 1.0 to some
> power > 1 does actually give you smaller values (e.g. 0.50^2 = 0.25).

Oh, OK! Just tested it and everything looks good so far.

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message