POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Converting pre-gamma scenes to assumed_gamma = 1? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 23:01:05 EDT (-0400)
  Converting pre-gamma scenes to assumed_gamma = 1? (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: SharkD
Subject: Converting pre-gamma scenes to assumed_gamma = 1?
Date: 8 Jun 2010 23:57:28
Message: <4c0f1128@news.povray.org>
Any general guidelines on converting scenes created before assumed_gamma
or 3.7 were in wide use to the new defaults?

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Converting pre-gamma scenes to assumed_gamma = 1?
Date: 9 Jun 2010 07:26:23
Message: <4c0f7a5f@news.povray.org>
Am 09.06.2010 05:57, schrieb SharkD:
> Any general guidelines on converting scenes created before assumed_gamma
> or 3.7 were in wide use to the new defaults?

That's a bit problematic: Before "assumed_gamma 1.0" or the most recent
3.7 betas, the color math was simply /wrong/. So in order to get exactly
the same result, you'd have to mimick that wrong color math - which 3.7
refuses to, except for legacy scenes using "#version 3.6" (or anything
smaller than 3.7) and "assumed_gamma 2.2".

If you do want to port the scene to the right math, here's what I expect
to be the most important steps:

(0) In the ini-file, set the "Display_Gamma" to whatever fits your
system; set "File_Gamma" to the same. (Ideally, your system should have
a Display_Gamma of 2.2.)

(1) In the scene file, use "#version 3.7", and remove any
"assumed_gamma" statement.

(2) Gamma-adjust all color literals, by raising the R,G,B components to
the power of 2.2 (or wait for the next beta, and add "gamma 2.2" to the
color literal). Check your scene for colour values that are computed
from some other values - you may (or may not) want to gamma-adjust these
as well.

(3) Check your scene for input image files, and whether they are handled
properly regarding gamma. For images that are used as anything non-color
(e.g. height field data, bump map, texture map or what-have-you),
explicitly specify "file_gamma 1.0" after the filename (next beta will
also support "gamma 1.0" here). For any images that do wind up being
used as a colour, try the default first (i.e. no "file_gamma"
statement); if the colours appear too washed-out or too strong, try
explicitly specifying "file_gamma srgb".

(4) Toy around with overall brightness and/or brightness of individual
light sources, until you feel comfortable with the illumination. You may
also want to tweak some of the colours in your scene (both pigment and
light sources). If you're using self-made input image files, you may
also want to tweak their file_gamma setting, but try to avoid this with
3rd party input images (you should usually find a way to make them work
by tweaking the scene rather than the image).

Post a reply to this message

>> Any general guidelines on converting scenes created before assumed_gamma
>> or 3.7 were in wide use to the new defaults?
>
> That's a bit problematic: Before "assumed_gamma 1.0" or the most recent
> 3.7 betas, the color math was simply /wrong/. So in order to get exactly
> the same result, you'd have to mimick that wrong color math - which 3.7
> refuses to, except for legacy scenes using "#version 3.6" (or anything
> smaller than 3.7) and "assumed_gamma 2.2".
>
> If you do want to port the scene to the right math, here's what I expect
> to be the most important steps:
>
> (0) In the ini-file, set the "Display_Gamma" to whatever fits your
> system; set "File_Gamma" to the same. (Ideally, your system should have
> a Display_Gamma of 2.2.)
>
> (1) In the scene file, use "#version 3.7", and remove any
> "assumed_gamma" statement.
>
> (2) Gamma-adjust all color literals, by raising the R,G,B components to
> the power of 2.2 (or wait for the next beta, and add "gamma 2.2" to the
> color literal). Check your scene for colour values that are computed
> from some other values - you may (or may not) want to gamma-adjust these
> as well.
>
> (3) Check your scene for input image files, and whether they are handled
> properly regarding gamma. For images that are used as anything non-color
> (e.g. height field data, bump map, texture map or what-have-you),
> explicitly specify "file_gamma 1.0" after the filename (next beta will
> also support "gamma 1.0" here). For any images that do wind up being
> used as a colour, try the default first (i.e. no "file_gamma"
> statement); if the colours appear too washed-out or too strong, try
> explicitly specifying "file_gamma srgb".
>
> (4) Toy around with overall brightness and/or brightness of individual
> light sources, until you feel comfortable with the illumination. You may
> also want to tweak some of the colours in your scene (both pigment and
> light sources). If you're using self-made input image files, you may
> also want to tweak their file_gamma setting, but try to avoid this with
> 3rd party input images (you should usually find a way to make them work
> by tweaking the scene rather than the image).

Mind if I copy your post to the wiki?

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

> (2) Gamma-adjust all color literals, by raising the R,G,B components to
> the power of 2.2 (or wait for the next beta, and add "gamma 2.2" to the
> color literal). Check your scene for colour values that are computed
> from some other values - you may (or may not) want to gamma-adjust these
> as well.

Are you sure about raising to a power? Old scenes are generally brighter
in 3.7 than they were originally, so wouldn't you want to lower them
instead?

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

>> (2) Gamma-adjust all color literals, by raising the R,G,B components to
>> the power of 2.2 (or wait for the next beta, and add "gamma 2.2" to the
>> color literal). Check your scene for colour values that are computed
>> from some other values - you may (or may not) want to gamma-adjust these
>> as well.
>
> Are you sure about raising to a power? Old scenes are generally brighter
> in 3.7 than they were originally, so wouldn't you want to lower them
> instead?

Yes, I am sure; note that raising values between 0.0 and 1.0 to some
power > 1 does actually give you smaller values (e.g. 0.50^2 = 0.25).

Post a reply to this message

The idea already crossed my mind, too - so as I currently don't find the
time myself, by all means go ahead.

Post a reply to this message

>>> (2) Gamma-adjust all color literals, by raising the R,G,B components to
>>> the power of 2.2 (or wait for the next beta, and add "gamma 2.2" to the
>>> color literal). Check your scene for colour values that are computed
>>> from some other values - you may (or may not) want to gamma-adjust these
>>> as well.
>>
>> Are you sure about raising to a power? Old scenes are generally brighter
>> in 3.7 than they were originally, so wouldn't you want to lower them
>> instead?
>
> Yes, I am sure; note that raising values between 0.0 and 1.0 to some
> power > 1 does actually give you smaller values (e.g. 0.50^2 = 0.25).

Oh, OK! Just tested it and everything looks good so far.

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

> If you do want to port the scene to the right math, here's what I expect
> to be the most important steps:

I just recalled another thing:

You may want to check your adc_bailout setting; in darker scenes, the
current defaults may still be too high and cause visible artifacts.

(I think the adc_bailout mechanism actually needs an overhaul to better
suit proper gamma handling as well as HDR output; I don't think it will
be too easy though.)

Post a reply to this message

> (2) Gamma-adjust all color literals, by raising the R,G,B components to
> the power of 2.2 (or wait for the next beta, and add "gamma 2.2" to the
> color literal). Check your scene for colour values that are computed
> from some other values - you may (or may not) want to gamma-adjust these
> as well.

What about colors like <1,1,1> or <1,0,0>? Raising them to a power has
no effect.

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

>> (2) Gamma-adjust all color literals, by raising the R,G,B components to
>> the power of 2.2 (or wait for the next beta, and add "gamma 2.2" to the
>> color literal). Check your scene for colour values that are computed
>> from some other values - you may (or may not) want to gamma-adjust these
>> as well.
>
> What about colors like <1,1,1> or <1,0,0>? Raising them to a power has
> no effect.

And there are also cases where assumed_gamma was (ab)used instead of
ajusting the lights intencity or the finish. Like: My scene is to
dark/bright, don't bother looking at the lights/finishes/pigments,
change assumed_gamma to compensate.

Often, you'll need to adjust the falues of the light_source as well as
the pigments and textures.

Alain