POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Creating a projector Server Time
27 Jun 2024 14:05:49 EDT (-0400)
  Creating a projector (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Simon
Subject: Creating a projector
Date: 10 Mar 2010 21:24:06
Message: <4b985446$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm currently using a series of still images to give the impression of
video playing in an animation

Most recent render:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvcP7YX6Ae4
(Feedback appreciated on this one!)

And one I did a while back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzTjLQrfWB8

Now what I'd like to do is use the series of stills as a filter (similar
to how film acts in a projector). I will then be able to do a cinema
screen with ppropriate shadows / lighting when someone stands in front
of the screen (and probably some cigarette smoke aka fog for added
effect)

Can someone please point me in the right direction? Many thanks

Apologies for posting to both advanced and newuser but am unsure if this
is difficult - I'm guessing it may be as I didn't find anything useful
on google...

I can pre-process images as long as it can be done in an automated
fashion (5000+ images)

Post a reply to this message

> I'm currently using a series of still images to give the impression of
> video playing in an animation
>

> Most recent render: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvcP7YX6Ae4 (Feedback
> appreciated on this one!)
>
> And one I did a while back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzTjLQrfWB8
>

> Now what I'd like to do is use the series of stills as a filter (similar
> to how film acts in a projector). I will then be able to do a cinema
> screen with ppropriate shadows / lighting when someone stands in front
> of the screen (and probably some cigarette smoke aka fog for added effect)
>

> Can someone please point me in the right direction? Many thanks
>

> Apologies for posting to both advanced and newuser but am unsure if this
> is difficult - I'm guessing it may be as I didn't find anything useful
> on google...
>

> I can pre-process images as long as it can be done in an automated
> fashion (5000+ images)

If you add filter_all to the image, it makes it transparent.
Alternatively, you can use a PNG with an alpha channel. You should
experiment to fing the best alpha value for your case. Do your tests for
a single "typical" frame.
Then, you add a normal point_light, possibly as a spot_light, behind the
"slide". Be sure to put a frame around your image to block any extra light.

If there is anything between the slide and the screen, it's shadow will
be visible, and that thing will get illuminated.

In that setup, there is no actual lense in your projector. Only an
absolutely punctual light_source and a slide/film. The image will be in
focus everywhere, not just on the screen.
If the "room" contains a light scattering media, then, that media will
show the projected beam.
You may want to have the light's intensity change as a function of the
distance from the projector. For that, you need to use fade_power 2 and
fade_distance <something> for your light_source. The intensity of your
light should be increased to compensate the fading. In some cases, a
value of rgb 100 or even more can be required for the light_source.

For the smoke, you should use some media. If the media itself is not
visible, but only it's effect is, then you should use an absorbing media.
If the "smoke" is to be visible, then you need to use scattering madia.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 11 Mar 2010 11:19:04
Message: <4b9917f8$1@news.povray.org>
Simon wrote:
> Can someone please point me in the right direction? Many thanks
> Apologies for posting to both advanced and newuser but am unsure if this
> is difficult - I'm guessing it may be as I didn't find anything useful
> on google...
> I can pre-process images as long as it can be done in an automated
> fashion (5000+ images)

This is something I played around with using df3s and absorbing media, a
few years ago...I even made some animations.  I can't seem to find the
posts, though.  (The web interface for the groups' search thing is
broken if you want anything past the first page.)

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Simon
Date: 11 Mar 2010 15:58:18
Message: <4b99596a$1@news.povray.org>
> If you add filter_all to the image, it makes it transparent.
> Alternatively, you can use a PNG with an alpha channel. You should
> experiment to fing the best alpha value for your case. Do your tests for
> a single "typical" frame.
> Then, you add a normal point_light, possibly as a spot_light, behind the
> "slide". Be sure to put a frame around your image to block any extra light.

Thanks - Sounds like exactly what I need. I'd prefer to avoid Alpha-PNG
if possible - it would be better if I could do all the without
pre-processing the frames I get (currently BMPs - Good job I recently
got a new HDD)

> If there is anything between the slide and the screen, it's shadow will
> be visible, and that thing will get illuminated.

Excellent

> In that setup, there is no actual lense in your projector. Only an
> absolutely punctual light_source and a slide/film. The image will be in
> focus everywhere, not just on the screen.
> If the "room" contains a light scattering media, then, that media will
> show the projected beam.
Fade distance is a good point, as is a lens - Is there any reason why I
can't scale the image down, then use a lens with the appropriate steup
to "project" the light? Or am I now moving into the realm of photons?

> You may want to have the light's intensity change as a function of the
> distance from the projector. For that, you need to use fade_power 2 and
> fade_distance <something> for your light_source. The intensity of your
> light should be increased to compensate the fading. In some cases, a
> value of rgb 100 or even more can be required for the light_source.
>
> For the smoke, you should use some media. If the media itself is not
> visible, but only it's effect is, then you should use an absorbing media.
> If the "smoke" is to be visible, then you need to use scattering madia.
>

> Alain

Thanks :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Simon
Date: 11 Mar 2010 15:58:47
Message: <4b995987$1@news.povray.org>
> This is something I played around with using df3s and absorbing media,
> few years ago...I even made some animations.  I can't seem to find the
> posts, though.  (The web interface for the groups' search thing is
> broken if you want anything past the first page.)

If/when you do come across them, I'd be interested in seeing them :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 11 Mar 2010 17:05:16
Message: <4b99691c@news.povray.org>

>> If you add filter_all to the image, it makes it transparent.
>> Alternatively, you can use a PNG with an alpha channel. You should
>> experiment to fing the best alpha value for your case. Do your tests for
>> a single "typical" frame.
>> Then, you add a normal point_light, possibly as a spot_light, behind the
>> "slide". Be sure to put a frame around your image to block any extra
>> light.
>
> Thanks - Sounds like exactly what I need. I'd prefer to avoid Alpha-PNG
> if possible - it would be better if I could do all the without
> pre-processing the frames I get (currently BMPs - Good job I recently
> got a new HDD)
>

>> If there is anything between the slide and the screen, it's shadow will
>> be visible, and that thing will get illuminated.
>>
> Excellent
>
>> In that setup, there is no actual lense in your projector. Only an
>> absolutely punctual light_source and a slide/film. The image will be in
>> focus everywhere, not just on the screen.
>> If the "room" contains a light scattering media, then, that media will
>> show the projected beam.
> Fade distance is a good point, as is a lens - Is there any reason why I
> can't scale the image down, then use a lens with the appropriate steup
> to "project" the light? Or am I now moving into the realm of photons?
>
>> You may want to have the light's intensity change as a function of the
>> distance from the projector. For that, you need to use fade_power 2 and
>> fade_distance <something> for your light_source. The intensity of your
>> light should be increased to compensate the fading. In some cases, a
>> value of rgb 100 or even more can be required for the light_source.
>>
>> For the smoke, you should use some media. If the media itself is not
>> visible, but only it's effect is, then you should use an absorbing media.
>> If the "smoke" is to be visible, then you need to use scattering madia.
>>

>> Alain
>
> Thanks :)

If you want to use a lens, then you absolutely need to use photons and
make the lens a target and the slide set as pass_through. You'll
probably also need to apply blured refraction to the slide so that you
focus the slide instead of the lightsource. In that case, it's the slide
than need to be made the photons' target.
Photons block needed for the lense or the slide (for blured refraction):
photons{target refraction on collect off}

Also, in that case, you'll need to flip your image just as in a real
projector.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 11 Mar 2010 18:00:49
Message: <4b997621$1@news.povray.org>
Simon wrote:
> If/when you do come across them, I'd be interested in seeing them :)

ehm.  *cough*  after some digging around...
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C3fde70ef%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=338563&toff=4700
also
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C3ed543ea%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=338563&toff=5300

From: Simon
Date: 11 Mar 2010 19:46:06
Message: <4b998ece$1@news.povray.org>
"Tim Cook" <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> ehm.  *cough*  after some digging around...

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C3fde70ef%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=338563&toff=4700

I really like this one (saikanoprojected.jpg) - It's approximately what
I'm after. Did you animate them?

Post a reply to this message

From: Simon
Date: 11 Mar 2010 19:48:31
Message: <4b998f5f$1@news.povray.org>
> If you want to use a lens, then you absolutely need to use photons and
> make the lens a target and the slide set as pass_through. You'll
> probably also need to apply blured refraction to the slide so that you
> focus the slide instead of the lightsource. In that case, it's the slide
> than need to be made the photons' target.
> Photons block needed for the lense or the slide (for blured refraction):
> photons{target refraction on collect off}
>
> Also, in that case, you'll need to flip your image just as in a real
> projector.
>

> Alain

It sounds like a LOT of hard work for no real advantage but I have to
admit the idea really appeals to me - I think it would be quite cool to
do.

(Can you guess why I ended up in IT?)

If I get anything worth showing, I'll post it.

Thanks :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 11 Mar 2010 20:25:07
Message: <4b9997f3$1@news.povray.org>
Simon wrote:
> I really like this one (saikanoprojected.jpg) - It's approximately what
> I'm after. Did you animate them?

Yeah.  The df3s ended up being about 50 MB each for a minute iirc, and
what I did was translate the df3 along one axis through the thin
container that only showed a single slice (more or less) at a time.
Though you could construct the df3 to be one image thick and just really
tall, like a film strip, but image editors don't like that much.