POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Creating a projector : Re: Creating a projector Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:37:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creating a projector
From: Alain
Date: 10 Mar 2010 23:13:43
Message: <4b986df7@news.povray.org>

> Hi,
>

> I'm currently using a series of still images to give the impression of
> video playing in an animation
>

> Most recent render: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvcP7YX6Ae4 (Feedback
> appreciated on this one!)
>
> And one I did a while back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzTjLQrfWB8
>

> Now what I'd like to do is use the series of stills as a filter (similar
> to how film acts in a projector). I will then be able to do a cinema
> screen with ppropriate shadows / lighting when someone stands in front
> of the screen (and probably some cigarette smoke aka fog for added effect)
>

> Can someone please point me in the right direction? Many thanks
>

> Apologies for posting to both advanced and newuser but am unsure if this
> is difficult - I'm guessing it may be as I didn't find anything useful
> on google...
>

> I can pre-process images as long as it can be done in an automated
> fashion (5000+ images)

If you add filter_all to the image, it makes it transparent.
Alternatively, you can use a PNG with an alpha channel. You should
experiment to fing the best alpha value for your case. Do your tests for
a single "typical" frame.
Then, you add a normal point_light, possibly as a spot_light, behind the
"slide". Be sure to put a frame around your image to block any extra light.

If there is anything between the slide and the screen, it's shadow will
be visible, and that thing will get illuminated.

In that setup, there is no actual lense in your projector. Only an
absolutely punctual light_source and a slide/film. The image will be in
focus everywhere, not just on the screen.
If the "room" contains a light scattering media, then, that media will
show the projected beam.
You may want to have the light's intensity change as a function of the
distance from the projector. For that, you need to use fade_power 2 and
fade_distance <something> for your light_source. The intensity of your
light should be increased to compensate the fading. In some cases, a
value of rgb 100 or even more can be required for the light_source.

For the smoke, you should use some media. If the media itself is not
visible, but only it's effect is, then you should use an absorbing media.
If the "smoke" is to be visible, then you need to use scattering madia.

Alain