POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Strange pigment error (3.6.1) Server Time
29 Jun 2024 02:15:16 EDT (-0400)
  Strange pigment error (3.6.1) (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: SharkD
Subject: Strange pigment error (3.6.1)
Date: 11 Sep 2009 02:42:04
Message: <4aa9f13c$1@news.povray.org>
I'm using the following pigment:

#local Temp_fnc1 = function {pigment {spherical}}
#local Temp_fnc3 = function
{
	Temp_fnc1(x, log(y + 1) / log(2),z).gray
}

The image actually *renders* most of the way. But about 3/4 done it
quits with the error, "Parse Error: Floating-point exception detected in
function 'Temp_fnc3'. Your function either attempted a division by zero,
used a function outside its domain or called an internal function with
invalid parameters."

Aren't parse errors supposed to occur *before* the image begins
rendering? How do I fix it?

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

Forgot to add the warp which seems to be the actual culprit:

warp
{
	turbulence	<1/4,1/64,1/4,>
	octaves		4
	lambda		2
	omega		1/2
}

Post a reply to this message

> #local Temp_fnc1 = function {pigment {spherical}}
> #local Temp_fnc3 = function
> {
>     Temp_fnc1(x, log(y + 1) / log(2),z).gray
> }
>
> The image actually *renders* most of the way. But about 3/4 done it
> quits with the error, "Parse Error: Floating-point exception detected in
> function 'Temp_fnc3'. Your function either attempted a division by zero,
> used a function outside its domain or called an internal function with
> invalid parameters."
>
> Aren't parse errors supposed to occur *before* the image begins
> rendering?

This is nothing that could be caught during parsing. After all, how is
POV-Ray supposed to know whether or not the function will be called with
parameters value that will cause one of the sub-expressions to operate
on invalid operands?

For instance, if your function is

     function { 1 / (x+1) }

then how should POV-Ray know whether you will make sure it isn't called
for any x smaller than -1?

 > How do I fix it?

The problem is most likely the subexpression

     log(y + 1)

which is undefined for any y <= -1. So make sure the pattern's native
range of y <= -1 is always outside whatever object it is applied to.

Or clip the parameter to a safe range, e.g.:

     #local Temp_fnc3 = function
     {
         Temp_fnc1(x, log(max(0.0001,y+1)) / log(2),z).gray
     }

which forces the parameter for log() to be no smaller than 0.0001.

Post a reply to this message

> Aren't parse errors supposed to occur *before* the image begins
> rendering?

  It should be labeled "rendering error" rather than "parse error".
Only a cosmetic problem, but perhaps worth a bug report.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> Aren't parse errors supposed to occur *before* the image begins
>> rendering?
>
>   It should be labeled "rendering error" rather than "parse error".
> Only a cosmetic problem, but perhaps worth a bug report.

How about "post-rendering parse error"?

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> This is nothing that could be caught during parsing. After all, how is
> POV-Ray supposed to know whether or not the function will be called with
> parameters value that will cause one of the sub-expressions to operate
> on invalid operands?
>
> For instance, if your function is
>
>     function { 1 / (x+1) }
>
> then how should POV-Ray know whether you will make sure it isn't called
> for any x smaller than -1?
>
>  > How do I fix it?
>
> The problem is most likely the subexpression
>
>     log(y + 1)
>
> which is undefined for any y <= -1. So make sure the pattern's native
> range of y <= -1 is always outside whatever object it is applied to.
>
> Or clip the parameter to a safe range, e.g.:
>
>     #local Temp_fnc3 = function
>     {
>         Temp_fnc1(x, log(max(0.0001,y+1)) / log(2),z).gray
>     }
>
> which forces the parameter for log() to be no smaller than 0.0001.

As I pointed out in my second post, the error only occurs after I apply
the turbulence warp.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> #local Temp_fnc1 = function {pigment {spherical}}
> #local Temp_fnc3 = function
> {
>     Temp_fnc1(x, log(y + 1) / log(2),z).gray
> }
>

> The image actually *renders* most of the way. But about 3/4 done it
> quits with the error, "Parse Error: Floating-point exception detected in
> function 'Temp_fnc3'. Your function either attempted a division by zero,
> used a function outside its domain or called an internal function with
> invalid parameters."
>
> Aren't parse errors supposed to occur *before* the image begins
> rendering? How do I fix it?
>
> -Mike

Oops! I made a mistake when copying the function. Here's the actual code:

#local Temp_fnc1 = function
{
	1 - min(1, sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z))
}
#local Temp_fnc3 = function
{
	max(0,min(1,Temp_fnc1(x, log(y + 1) / log(2),z)))
}

And the warp:

warp
{